Holy Wells & spas

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

When I was there in the 60s, we were told where it used to be (which may well be wrong). I'm pretty sure I could find it again but I don't live in Leeds anymore and it'll have to wait till I next visit. I hope to get across in the next few months and will try to photo it for you.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

This is the Dogs Mouth Spring, situated at the south end of Great Heads Beck on Roundhay Park. The Dogs Head is still there but nowadays you have to be eagle-eyed to spot it.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

thanks Chrism. I haven't heard of this one.it looks interesting. I would be interested in what is left of it.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

There is really little left of it now, you can see the spring and the stone with the "mouth" on it but the dogs face has all but gone, and the water flows underneath the stone rather than from the mouth of the dog. Would be interested to dig out the well part as I stuck a stick down and it seems to go down a fair way but then lots of stones there...

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Chrism wrote: This is the Dogs Mouth Spring, situated at the south end of Great Heads Beck on Roundhay Park. The Dogs Head is still there but nowadays you have to be eagle-eyed to spot it. where abouts in the park is it?
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

ReddaDrops

Post by ReddaDrops »

i believe this to be about 5 mins from the castle, on a really muddy path that goes from the ring road (back of roundhay park) towards the big lake. ill try and get down at some point and take some snaps of it if this is the one im thinking of!
Man be the downfall of man

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Moved to Buildings and structures - apologies for the delay responding Steve!Cheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

If you go from the castle rather than the ring road it is a little quicker. Go round the top of the castle end of the lake and then take the path through to the gorge. It is about 100-200 yards on the right hand side. You will notice it as it has another stream/beck like waterway coming from its left...

LS1

Post by LS1 »

What about the Spa house build at the end of Gledhow Valley Road/ Woods. at Harehills end. Set back from the road on the left coming from Moor Allerton it is sometimes open on the Heritage Days. I cant for the life of me remeber why it is there but I'm sure someone will fill us in! - I know its 17th Century though!!!!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

The complete history of Gledhow Spa can be found here:http://www.fgvw.co.uk/html/woods/spatimeline.htm
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!