Old Leeds Firms

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Brunel

Post by Brunel »

tilly

Post by tilly »

Was this the same firm that used to be in in Hunslet if so they were part of Frankie Vaunghs family.The singer of Green Door fame.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Yes and yes.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I see there was a free erection available within 60 miles! and also a bit .
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

THWAITE GATE

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Frankie Vaughan's real name was indeed Frankie Ableson.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

tiddler

Post by tiddler »

buffaloskinner wrote: An Aunt of mine used to work at Gladys Atkins as an invisible mender many years ago. Was quite a difficult skillful job from what She has told me compared to other jobs in the rag trade.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="tiddlerAn Aunt of mine used to work at Gladys Atkins as an invisible mender many years ago. Was quite a difficult skillful job from what She has told me compared to other jobs in the rag trade. When I was a (reluctant) junior clerk in the Century Insurance Office in South Parade I was often sent to Gladys M. Atkinson's with damaged or burnt garments for repair under claims. The results were nothing short of miraculous and your Aunt was quite right.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Fretless

Post by Fretless »

Hi there. I'm new to this board so please be gentle. I'm trying to find information, pictures, whatever on an old Leeds firm of William Thackeray who, from all accounts, ended trading sometime in the 1930's. The business was located at 51 (Ivy Works) and 67 Old Row, Armley - before it became Ledgard Way.One of the things I'm trying to find out is just where No. 51 and 67 might be, which side of the road etc. Also, what sort of buildings were in the immediate area and does anyone have any photos of the buildings in Old Row.I realise that this might be asking a bit much since the company has been defunct for some 70 or 80 years, but if anyone has or knows anything then they're likely to be on this board. Thanks in advance.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Fretless wrote: Hi there. I'm new to this board so please be gentle. I'm trying to find information, pictures, whatever on an old Leeds firm of William Thackeray who, from all accounts, ended trading sometime in the 1930's. The business was located at 51 (Ivy Works) and 67 Old Row, Armley - before it became Ledgard Way.One of the things I'm trying to find out is just where No. 51 and 67 might be, which side of the road etc. Also, what sort of buildings were in the immediate area and does anyone have any photos of the buildings in Old Row.I realise that this might be asking a bit much since the company has been defunct for some 70 or 80 years, but if anyone has or knows anything then they're likely to be on this board. Thanks in advance. Welcome Fretless. I can't be a lot of help but here are a couple of maps & the 1908 Directory for Old Row which only has two occupants listed one of whom is John William Thackeray (Plane Maker)The Armley Brewery owned by Samuel Ledgard became a yeast factory & in close proximity was the infamous J W Roberts asbestos factory1890 Map1921 Map1908 Directory1911 Census. Charles Thackeray the father of John William Thackeray living at 37 Old Row