Leeds Merchants 1847

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here is a comprehensive list of merchants etc in Briggate in 1847http://www.direct-resources.uk.com/brig.htmand other nearby streetshttp://www.direct-resources.uk.com/leeds.htm
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Si

Post by Si »

Nice one, Buffaloskinner. There's a similar list for 1837 on Genuki.

chomic

Post by chomic »

Jas Nelson & Son, Whitesmith & Bellhanger, Briggate 047.What did a 'whitesmith' do?

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

A whitesmith is a person who works with "white" or light-coloured metals such as tin and pewter. While blacksmiths work mostly with hot metal, whitesmiths do the majority of their work on cold metal (although they might use a forge to shape their raw materials).The term is also applied to metalworkers who do only finishing work - such as filing or polishing - on iron and other "black" metals.    

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

2055 Stears Saml Cutler to Duke of Cambridge Briggate 036 2247 Stears Saml Engraver Briggate 036 6451 Stears Saml Umbrella maker (to Her Majesty) Briggate 036 A Duke and the Queen as customers, blimey! (What's a Cutler)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Someone who makes, or retails cutlery! Or more specifically knives and cutting implements.

FarnleyBloke

Post by FarnleyBloke »

LS1 wrote: Someone who makes, or retails cutlery! Or more specifically knives and cutting implements. Cheers! pretty obvious when you think of it!How many hat makers are there, must be about 2 dozen on Briggate, must have been alot of helmet hair going on in 19th century Leeds!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Bring back hats. Hats are great. I would love to wear a trilby of something but I'm sure everyone would take the mic.Just goes to show how times have changed. In those days I guess that people would have laughed if a bloke didn't have a hat on!

Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

I say "Hats Off " to hats, all the blokes on this forum should start the great hat comeback, we could all prominade along Briggate or the Headrow in our various trilby, bowler, topper, stove, fez or any other form of hat and make Leeds into the hat capitol of Europe. Just imagine the looks of envy from the out of towners as they do their xmas shopping seeing the smart young corinthians of this fair city in all of their hatted finery. It may only be a pipe dream at the moment, but who says dreams can't come true ?    

stevief

Post by stevief »

Hats Off wrote: I say "Hats Off " to hats, all the blokes on this forum should start the great hat comeback, we could all prominade along Briggate or the Headrow in our various trilby, bowler, topper, stove, fez or any other form of hat and make Leeds into the hat capitol of Europe. Just imagine the looks of envy from the out of towners as they do their xmas shopping seeing the smart young corinthians of this fair city in all of their hatted finery. It may only be a pipe dream at the moment, but who says dreams can't come true ?     I occasionally wear a flat cap.I've resisted any temptation to wear abaseball cap because I consider the flat cap to be part of my/ourcultural heritage.