Shadwell House

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Carole Darwell

Shadwell House

Post by Carole Darwell »

Hi,

I live in the Shadwell Parks LS17, just off Roundhay Park lane, and during some recent renovation work, when the builder dug down there were some huge pieces of stone under the building. I saw an old map of Shadwell and the area had a house on it called Shadwell House. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it. The houses of the Shadwell arks were built in the 1970's so i'm guessing it was demolished late 1960's. I would welcome any information. There's nothing in the book about Shadwell.
Thank you

chemimike

Re: Shadwell House

Post by chemimike »

I thought at first that Shadwell Grange was meant, but this still seems to be there. Marked in blue, with Roundhay Park Lane approx in red and yellow marking the Shadwell Parks area.
ScreenHunter 6840.jpg
ScreenHunter 6840.jpg (83.32 KiB) Viewed 6260 times
Certainly this was the only largish house there in the 1850s Again red line is Roundhay Park Lane
ScreenHunter 6841.jpg
ScreenHunter 6841.jpg (59.86 KiB) Viewed 6260 times
But obviously this is not in the area described. The 1906 map shows several houses, the most likely being Hambleton House
ScreenHunter 6842.jpg
ScreenHunter 6842.jpg (184.22 KiB) Viewed 6260 times
Not much in the newspapers about that. All I can say is that there was a Mrs Dickinson there in 1900 (though she might have been the cook), a Mr & Mrs Hayes there immediately pre WW1 and a Mr & Mrs John Bray in the 1920s