A narrow 'passage' off Fish Street.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

A narrow 'passage' off Fish Street.

Post by Leodian »

Shortly after going up Fish Street from Vicar Lane there is on the left a narrow 'passage' that though mostly open to the sky it does not go all the way through to Kirkgate. I've seen what seems as if it could be an early outline of what was to become Fish Street in a 1908 map in the Old Maps UK (OMUK) website and in the OMUK 1921 and a 1933 maps Fish Street is there but not named and the 'passage' may be there. Fish Street is named in an OMUK 1954 map and that also clearly shows the 'passage' and that it does not go all the way to Kirkgate. Though some brickwork on the premises it runs by looks modernish there might be much older brickwork that is not readily seen.

The non-through 'passage' intrigues me. It presumably had (still has?) a purpose. It runs behind the Betfred betting shop but there does not seem to be doorway to/from that. I did wonder if it is connected to the General Elliot/Eliott pub but the map indicates that it misses the pub. Does anyone know of any old and/or modern use? Perhaps it is a fire escape route for some premises? It does not seem to be wide enough to hold wheelie bins that many old passageways do get used for now.

The first photo shows the passage from Fish Street, the second is a view through its locked gate and the third shows its position looking along Fish Street to Vicar Lane. I will try to post next the 1954 OMUK that shows the location.
The passage (taken from Fish Street on Feb 4 2016).
The passage (taken from Fish Street on Feb 4 2016).
702R.jpg (114.57 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
The view along the passage (taken from Fish Street on Feb 4 2016).
The view along the passage (taken from Fish Street on Feb 4 2016).
705R.jpg (122.22 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
View to Vicar Lane from Fish Street showing the passage position (taken Feb 4 2016).
View to Vicar Lane from Fish Street showing the passage position (taken Feb 4 2016).
703R.jpg (119.64 KiB) Viewed 3027 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re: A narrow 'passage' off Fish Street.

Post by Leodian »

This is an enlarged section I took from an 1954 1:1250 map in the OMUK website. It shows the non-through 'passage' coming off Fish Street (behind the Post Office, PO). The map may also be of interest as to the many premises which are no longer used for what they were (including several Public Houses, PH. ;)).
From a 1954 1:1250 map in the Old Maps UK website.
From a 1954 1:1250 map in the Old Maps UK website.
OMUK19541To1259Jpeg.jpg (235.19 KiB) Viewed 3021 times
PS. Sorry for the very large size of the image and a lot of space. I had problems even getting it to how it is!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Compare that to the 1890 map
Attachments
1890.JPG
1890.JPG (289.16 KiB) Viewed 3004 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that map buffaloskinner :). I see that an early length of Fish Street is marked with a covered part on Kirkgate. There also several yards (with covered parts) in the area and what may be early signs of where the passage will be and that it also had covered parts.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

1886 Insurance Pan http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlineex ... 48982.html
Fish Street.png
Fish Street.png (394.28 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
........and a up to date map
Fish Street 2016.png
Fish Street 2016.png (96.23 KiB) Viewed 2980 times

hyperioncantlogin

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Hi Leo.
It could be the remains of an Ancient passage leading to the back of Ralph Thoresby's House.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for the maps uncle mick :). It's interesting how some old bits still survive, such as for example what seems to be part of Bewley's Yard. There were a lot of yards around in the centre of Leeds in those days!

Thanks also hyperioncantlogin for your suggestion of the passage I am wondering about "It could be the remains of an Ancient passage leading to the back of Ralph Thoresby's House". I did not know of the Thoresby connection there (or more likely had forgotten!). I've now found that there is Leeds Civic Trust Blue Plaque on Kirkgate there which states "Ralph Thoresby, F.R.S. (1658-1725) The historian of Leeds had his home and museum here".

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Walking on Fish Street yesterday (February 9 2016) I noticed that the door on the building immediately to the right of the passage way was open so I had a very quick peek inside. The door is a fire door behind which is an area partly in the open with an outside fire ladder. I often wonder what is behind doors, so I at least now partly know this one! I suspect there must be some old and/or interesting areas that are rarely seen in the centre of Leeds (and probably elsewhere in Leeds). The first photo shows a view from Fish Street (the passage of this thread is immediately left of the door) and the second is the photo I took showing a view looking inside from the door.
View from Fish Street (taken Feb 9 2016).
View from Fish Street (taken Feb 9 2016).
707R.jpg (120.49 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
View looking inside from the door (taken on Feb 9 2016).
View looking inside from the door (taken on Feb 9 2016).
706R.jpg (92.21 KiB) Viewed 2808 times