Bunkers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
liits

Post by liits »

Adel Woods Bunker- Found this today on 28 Days Later.http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/sho ... =26072Hope this works as a link. If not, sorry....

hamster

Post by hamster »

im not sure but it this one. the kind of stirs

hamster

Post by hamster »

hi i been reading these web site for a long time.im not sure but is this a bunker. the kind of stairs. on nursery lan where primary park creasent starts

daveharriss

Post by daveharriss »

Hi AllNot using my real name for obvious reasons. i grew up in morrtown, and every night would walk all the way to the airraid shelter, in those days, no steel door, but it was open. Urban myths in 1980 was that indeed it was full of grenades and munitions. What i can tell you is this. We were good at chemstry at school, and we learnt about making big holes in things with other things. So the project of the shelter war began.It was indeed on two levels. Although many trap doors, never really worked our why they were there apart from my mate gashing his leg on one. So two floor laid out the same. they looked like racks which could of held documents, or munitions, we took axes spades, banging things, and dug below the stairwell for ages. Could not get through. Weird thing is this. Small opening, massive inside, almost as if the the original entrance was not in the quarry. Also the bunker on the top you could climb in, and it had a ladder going down into the bunker. I know adel woods massiveley well, so if theres anyone reading this remembers the fun nights we had at the pin and needle, lifting of the stone at the seven arches, blocking the river with big objects, and the urban myth of the jeep burried underground, drop me a line.

eddie666

Post by eddie666 »

This is the air bunker on Hyde Park. Will post pictures at some point. Been at work and not had chance for a few weeks.The top circle is a square 2 x 2' slab that seems to block an air vent, the bottom circle is a few boulders that block the entrance but not very well. You can see straight into the bunker although nowt much to see in the pitch black.
Attachments
__TFMF_pt5x3s55pa0faqyunieww5jt_1cdbb0ea-9bdc-4089-a097-4c2b00ee46f2_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pt5x3s55pa0faqyunieww5jt_1cdbb0ea-9bdc-4089-a097-4c2b00ee46f2_0_main.jpg (70.98 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
Parrot with no beak, will always sucseed!!!!

eddie666

Post by eddie666 »

Sorry missed some of the picture off. So I'll try againThis is the air bunker on Hyde Park. Will post pictures at some point. Been at work and not had chance for a few weeks.The top circle is a square 2 x 2' slab that seems to block an air vent, the bottom circle is a few boulders that block the entrance but not very well. You can see straight into the bunker although nowt much to see in the pitch black.
Attachments
__TFMF_pt5x3s55pa0faqyunieww5jt_872493f3-cde8-4d7e-b755-9715c724cdbe_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pt5x3s55pa0faqyunieww5jt_872493f3-cde8-4d7e-b755-9715c724cdbe_0_main.jpg (88.38 KiB) Viewed 4844 times
Parrot with no beak, will always sucseed!!!!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Somewhere pages back on this, was a disussion about shelters and bunkers on the former aircraft factory site, Tesco, on Roundhay road.Tesco are redeveloping the store 'more to the north and east' of the site. Not sure if this will entail the Homebase building going but, might give an opportunity to see what's still there (and will probably be destroyed) when they start digging.{There's an exhibition at the existing store Friday/Saturday this week).

John Leeds

Post by John Leeds »

daveharriss wrote: Hi AllNot using my real name for obvious reasons. i grew up in morrtown, and every night would walk all the way to the airraid shelter, in those days, no steel door, but it was open. Urban myths in 1980 was that indeed it was full of grenades and munitions. What i can tell you is this. We were good at chemstry at school, and we learnt about making big holes in things with other things. So the project of the shelter war began.It was indeed on two levels. Although many trap doors, never really worked our why they were there apart from my mate gashing his leg on one. So two floor laid out the same. they looked like racks which could of held documents, or munitions, we took axes spades, banging things, and dug below the stairwell for ages. Could not get through. Weird thing is this. Small opening, massive inside, almost as if the the original entrance was not in the quarry. Also the bunker on the top you could climb in, and it had a ladder going down into the bunker. Now thenI'd like to talk about the bunker in Adel woods, a few mate's and I were possibly one of the last groups to go in there before the metal alarmed door went on.I was 18 at the time and I'm now 26 so this was 8 years ago in summer, it all started when a friend asked me to show him it as he planned to get in, before the metal door went on the bottom third of the door was covered with soil, the entrance looked more square back then, it was concreted up with re bar running through it we later found out there was a double skinned red brick wall behind the concrete.After a few beers and smoke's we had successfully eyed up the job and decided that there must be another entrance some where, as it would be pretty silly to only have one way in and out, I had a brain wave and the next day we set out with a tarmac bar 2 spades and a bottle jack.If you are looking at the babling baby and you head right toward the Seven Arches after about 20 yards on your left you will see what we thought was a secret exit/entrance, its a pile of rocks that we had jacked off to dig away at the wall at the back of the structure, after nearly a full day of hard graft an old bloke approached us and asked what we were doing, we told him we were looking for an entrance into the bunker besides the one on the opposite side of Stairfooot Lane, what he said really shocked me and still eludes me to this day ?.He told us to go to the water works located at the back of the seven arches as this was a control room for comms and all that lot, we went there, with out getting a STIHL saw or oxy acetylene bottle and a torch we were not getting in, it was at this point that we thought man power and determination would prevail.The next day we went to the main entrance with more gear and more help, this time we had pick axes sledge hammers the lot, we started trying to get through the roof of the pill box this was a waste of time, we then tried smashing the concrete block of the side of the pill box we didn't have much luck with that so we decided seen as there was about a dozen of us then we take it in turns on the main entrance that now has the metal door on.For the next 2 week we went down there daily with our tools until we finally got through the concrete to the double skinned brick wall, a few hours later we had driven the tarmac bar through the brick and was banging it against the interior concrete wall of the bunker, we finally made a hole big enough for us all to fit through, it was roughly a square foot in size.The fun begins !My mate poked his head in first and crawled in, it was kind of hard to get in because of the soil covering the bottom third of the entrance.As soon as you crawl in there is a little square hatch flush with the floor on the left what took you too the second floor, you then turn right and walk forward about 5 feet and hit another wall, we then looked left and walked forward 15 feet ish, to your left you can see the stair way that takes you down to the next floor, to your right is what can only be explained as a lift shaft that is filled with rubble, there is about a 10 feet drop from the floor level to the rubble.We decided to check out the top floor first, its rectangular in shape and split into rows, right at the back of the top floor room there are a few point's of interest, firstly there is a hole in the wall what I assume was for ventilation, I also speculated that this was possibly drawn in from the pill box ?, secondly in the top left and top right corners of the top floor are 2 hatches, these were identical to the one that you see as soon as you crawl in on your left, these hatches are about 15 inch square and have a metal casing that is flush to the floor.We then went down the stairs to the second floor, as soon as we got to the base of the stairs there was corrugated metal sheeting all over the floor, it was a bit of a mess tbh, we walked round as if to follow the stairs down to another level but we ran into more rubble, the hatch on your left when you crawl in is right above you at this point, if you walk the rows of the second level its pretty much identical the the first level apart from a few important thing's.There is no visible intake for ventilation, and in the corners of the room there is evidence of another level , in the left and right top corners of the second level on the floor there are metal squares what are flush with the ground, these are directly underneath the hatches on the first floor and you can see that a ladder or some thing was fixed to the wall in the past, you can clearly see that it has been concreted over as it is newer than the rest of the bunker, and you can still make out the metal frame.We decided to clear out the rubble at the bottom of the stair case to see what we could find, we did this with buckets and rope and lifted it up through the hatch on your left as soon as you crawled in, we found more concrete that was newer than rest of the bunker.After speaking with my uncle he said that there was more than 2 floors as he and his mates used to go down there when they were kids, he then went on to tell me a mate of his who is a sparky was doing some work in the town hall basement, he seen an old metal door and asked the caretaker/guide were it led and he was told its a direct route to the air raid shelter in Adel woods ?.After 2 weeks of digging and a week of scratching our head's we had got bored and decided to leave it alone, shortly after this there was some work done on Stairfoot Lane, we didn't really think much of it at the time, when the work had finished and the road re opened the small dirt track that led to the bunker was wide enough to fit a bus up there so we went to take a look, this is when we discovered the metal door, I reckon with in 6 -8 weeks of us going in there the road was closed for "road works" a small path turned into a road and an alarmed door was fitted. ?What it was used for and how many floors it has still interests me, I know it has more than 2, I have been told, I have seen the metal grates on the second floor and the new concrete on these hatches and at the bottom of the stair case, another thing worth noting is the distance from the base of the top floor to the top of the rubble in the shaft, it is lower down than the base of the second floor .......................................................................................................................@daveharriss......... When you climbed down from the pill box were on the first floor did end up ?, this is baffling me as we never seen any thing that connected the bunker to the pill box ?Has any one else heard rumours that it's connected to the town hall ?.What about the prospect of a control room ?, this would suggest to me that it was a lot more than just a place to store papers ?.Why is there the need for what look's like a lift shaft in a building that only has 2 floors ?.What about the road works that closed Stairfoot Lane for a month to put in a curb on the bridge ?.I think there is a lot more to all this than what meet's the eye, hopefully some one will shed a little light on the matter.Thank's.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

I don't know if this is of any use but in the 50's I lived in Alwoodley, not very far from Adel Woods. My best friend's father once told me that during the war he was in the Home Guard and he was on an anti-aircraft gun. I cannot remember if it was on Stairfoot Lane or nearer to the woods but it was certainly in that area. I'm sorry my story is so skimpy and I can't be more informative but it was a long time ago when he told me. I hope it might be of some use to you or I may be telling you something you already know. My train of thought was they would need somewhere to store ammo.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

John Leeds

Post by John Leeds »

@Johnny39...... I have heard this from a few people, at the time of gaining entry to the bunker none of us asked the question why would there be an AA gun guarding 2 floor's of paper ?If we are talking about the same place its on the opposite side of the woods to Adel crag.I have been talking to a few of the lads I went in with and we might try and get back in there .