Former LCT Garage Middleton

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
BLAKEY

Re: Former LCT Garage Middleton

Post by BLAKEY »

Great picture buffaloskinner - the "SUG5**M" Atlanteans were the last dual door excellent design buses to be supplied, having been ordered by LCT but not all delivered by April 1st 1974 when Metro began. Most arrived in LCT great livery of two greens but some of the last suffered from some of the trial "wishy washy" anaemic attempts at a Metro county wide livery - buttermilk and emerald !! It was one of these that "leapt the moat" at the Cottingley flats after the air pressure resumed and restored the gears when the lever was in first and the handbrake off - don't know how the elderly driver explained that !! I must be getting really old as I used to mix with pals at Hunslet depot and well remember "Miggy" opening - what a difference eh ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

BLAKEY wrote:It was one of these that "leapt the moat" at the Cottingley flats after the air pressure resumed and restored the gears when the lever was in first and the handbrake off - don't know how the elderly driver explained that !! I must be getting really old as I used to mix with pals at Hunslet depot and well remember "Miggy" opening - what a difference eh ??
Well Chris do you remember an old Hunslet lad called Michael J Davey? He became the Regional Secretary of the Transport & General Workers Union probably one of the best, how times have changed with Trade Unions today.

Yes I recall the Cottingley jumper quite well, and many other incidents up by the flats robbery, broken windows, assaults and I can still remember when it was all prefabs. :cry:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Yes I do remember Mr. Davey and his deserved success with the TGWU.

There was some truly awful anti social behaviour at the Cottingley flats and I daresay still is. In more recent times, Yorkshire Rider etc., it was so bad that in the evenings and at weekends an arrangement was made with Sulzer Engineering that buses could arrive at the flats and immediately cross the Ring Road to Sulzer's yard to wait for departure time before returning to pick up passengers and set off without delay On another awful occasion a Headingley driver had just turned into the flats approach road when a motorbike drove straight at him at a colossal speed in a successful suicide attempt - straight into the front of the bus - what a dreadful experience. There was considerable resistance, understandable, from the prefabs residents to the demolition plans - these great little "temporary" houses had something about them and outlasted by years the originally planned lifespan.before finally succumbing. I think they were very much liked by the occupants in many locations all over the country.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

buffaloskinner wrote:
j.c.d. wrote:There will be three reply's along in a minute Tomq all at once
This was my old garage for 15 years up until 1986 and deregulation, good times were had there and many old friends.
It was a shame to see it shut, but it was closed so the new Yorkshire Rider Ltd could be made profitable and all the buses were moved to the remaining garages, I myself went to Torre Road which was a dump compared to Middleton Garage with very basic facilities.

The Coop bought Middleton after closure and it has had many tenants over the last 28 years, I know cos I live fairly close by. Next Time I go to the Asda I will have a look at what's going on. :roll:

Good Times :)[/quote.

Lookiing at that 55 bus picture reminds me that in the late 50s we used to go from Beeston to Morley not only for the extra half hour boozing but also that the pubs in Morley had music on a Sunday and Monday nghts. we also used the Red bus from Dewsbury rd. which stopped outside the Sycamore pub. coming home we used to get the green bus from outside the Morley town hall and alight (get off) at Elland road. other members of our gang used to stay on to town having bought the same price ticket as us. this backfired one night when coming down to Leeds I got off as usual and the likely lads stayed on we were on a bachelor night out and when the conductor remonstrated with them at the Corn exchange the groom to be offered the conductor off of his bus. this resulted in my pal being hit over the head with the ticket holder (Quite deserved I was told later) this resulted in a visit to the Dispensary on North St. and at St Patricks church the following morning the Groom had a cross of sticking plaster on his head. "Would the Groom PLEASE hold his head up" this from the wedding photographer. Happy days.
Last edited by j.c.d. on Mon 01 Dec, 2014 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Wonder what the newly crowned "Her indoors who must be obeyed" had to say about that - plenty I'll bet !! :D

hunsletite

Post by hunsletite »

As a new visitor to this site I'm chuffed to read all the comments about LCT Middleton Garage. I'm in my 70's now and remember well the building of this Garage. When I was courting my now wife in 1966 I used to get the night bus down to Balm Road from the Depot. I would usually call in to the office to chat with my Dad, George Dixon, who was the regular Night Inspector at Middleton. Dad died in 1977 but I remember his affection for this Depot. He always said it was his favourite by far and he was dead chuffed to get the position of regular night man, having been a roving Inspector all over Leeds. He also said that Seacroft Garage was the worst! When he retired he had a "do" in the Omnibus Pub on Sharpe Lane with a good crowd attending. At his funeral in 1977 it was so moving to see the number of LCT staff lining the road into Cottingley Crematorium, the staff there said it was the biggest turn out they'd ever seen up to that time. If any of you were there I'd like to say a huge thank you to you all, and if anyone has any memories of my Dad I'd love to read your comments.