The Best Building in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
JanCee

Post by JanCee »

H

simonm

Post by simonm »

Scandy Bramley wrote: stevief wrote: wiggy wrote: kirkstall abbey,the parish church or adel chapel?? Leeds Parish Church gets my vote! There's no finer way to round off the weekend than sitting outside the Palace with a pint on a Sunday evening and listening to the bell-ringers going for it!! Mate of mine lived in the housing complex behind the church - those bells are FAKKIN HORRIBLE! You can't hear yissen think, when they are clanging away! Watching telly is impossible...no chance of a lie in of a Sunday morning either! When he sold the place, he had to arrange appointments with prospective buyers at times when the bluddy things weren't active, or he'd NEVER have got rid of his house. If your talking about a certain bald pikey? I thinks he's living back down there, split form his missus recently and she still has the house in Holbeck! Saw him at the Southend game. I'll PM you on MOT!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Looks like the town hall is winning so far. Admit every northern city has one, but none so splendid as ours!

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

simonm wrote: Scandy Bramley wrote: stevief wrote: wiggy wrote: kirkstall abbey,the parish church or adel chapel?? Leeds Parish Church gets my vote! There's no finer way to round off the weekend than sitting outside the Palace with a pint on a Sunday evening and listening to the bell-ringers going for it!! Mate of mine lived in the housing complex behind the church - those bells are FAKKIN HORRIBLE! You can't hear yissen think, when they are clanging away! Watching telly is impossible...no chance of a lie in of a Sunday morning either! When he sold the place, he had to arrange appointments with prospective buyers at times when the bluddy things weren't active, or he'd NEVER have got rid of his house. If your talking about a certain bald pikey? I thinks he's living back down there, split form his missus recently and she still has the house in Holbeck! Saw him at the Southend game. I'll PM you on MOT!! Sad news, our Si - He HATES those fakkin bells!!!
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

LS1 wrote: Looks like the town hall is winning so far. Admit every northern city has one, but none so splendid as ours! maybe the terms should of read 'not including the town hall'.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

I
Attachments
__TFMF_s0ea0yqjcc3vxvfbosc54o45_2bbd3c84-11f3-4dbe-a2f2-1f30a83ab7ca_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_s0ea0yqjcc3vxvfbosc54o45_2bbd3c84-11f3-4dbe-a2f2-1f30a83ab7ca_0_main.jpg (32.25 KiB) Viewed 1903 times

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

JanCee wrote: It's compulsory, did you know, that when there is any national news item about local councils, council tax or whatever, to have a picture of Leeds Town Hall as a backdrop? So it seems anyway. I think the Metropole is a building worthy of note. i agree the metropol is striking.as is the new courthouse......(titter ye not!!) and st johns church.some of st james hospital is nice too,and isn't there a timber framed house at the back of where watson cairns was?..........the list could go on and on,especially when you compare our buildings to those in scumchester,bradford or indeed most other towns and cities outside london.scumchester reminds me of leeds when i was a kid in the 60s and early 70s..all black and dirty.

stevief

Post by stevief »

I hope we're not just including'old'buildings because I think Bridgewater Place is pretty impressive.It's not the case that biggest is best,it has some shape and contour unlike some of the tower'blocks'of the 60's.

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

[

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

JanCee wrote: stevief wrote: I hope we're not just including'old'buildings because I think Bridgewater Place is pretty impressive.It's not the case that biggest is best,it has some shape and contour unlike some of the tower'blocks'of the 60's. I hope we're not just including old buildings. Did anyone else see that programme on BBC2 the other week about buldings in Leeds and Bradford. That is one fantastic looking building being planned for the site of Poulson's Folly. just read that site about the rent strikes,the one for 1934 shows a picture of gipton,even though gipton was still fields at that time.do you think i should call them and tell them what a sad anorak i am??