The Best Building in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Clankylad wrote: Church-wise I'm going to continue flying the flag for modernism and pick the completely unique Church of the Epiphany in Gipton. end of my wifes childhood street clankylad,about 200 yds from my old house too.a grade 1 listed building......even though it was designed by a frenchie!! do you remember when it had the star of the epiphany atop of it?
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

magic

Post by magic »

wiggy wrote: Clankylad wrote: Church-wise I'm going to continue flying the flag for modernism and pick the completely unique Church of the Epiphany in Gipton. end of my wifes childhood street clankylad,about 200 yds from my old house too.a grade 1 listed building......even though it was designed by a frenchie!! do you remember when it had the star of the epiphany atop of it? Wiggy,Sorry for going off on a tangent but have you any idea what the reason was for all the road works etc that were carried out on the roundabout adjacent to the epiphany.

Clankylad

Post by Clankylad »

wiggy wrote: Clankylad wrote: Church-wise I'm going to continue flying the flag for modernism and pick the completely unique Church of the Epiphany in Gipton. end of my wifes childhood street clankylad,about 200 yds from my old house too.a grade 1 listed building......even though it was designed by a frenchie!! do you remember when it had the star of the epiphany atop of it? Nope, 'fraid I don't remember the star. Glad it's grade 1 listed though. Otherwise it's the sort of thing that would have got knocked down in 1986 or something and we'd be saying 'Does anyone remember that church...'
"This is the North. We do what we like."

big s

Post by big s »

Phill_d wrote: Without a shadow of a doubt mine is the old medical school on Thoresby place. I used to have some pics somewhere. Fantastic place with a great interior. I especially like the huge anatomy disecting room with shed light windows in the roof so they can have a good old look inside them pickled corpses! :-/ there is also the giant stone in the basement where the story goes that it was so big it was easier to build round it than remove it.there are a few inspection hatches you can open and see the giant rock.
at least until the world stops going round.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

magic wrote: wiggy wrote: Clankylad wrote: Church-wise I'm going to continue flying the flag for modernism and pick the completely unique Church of the Epiphany in Gipton. end of my wifes childhood street clankylad,about 200 yds from my old house too.a grade 1 listed building......even though it was designed by a frenchie!! do you remember when it had the star of the epiphany atop of it? Wiggy,Sorry for going off on a tangent but have you any idea what the reason was for all the road works etc that were carried out on the roundabout adjacent to the epiphany. all i can tell you is that in the garden of the dentist there is an entrance to an air raid shelter.we all played in it as kids.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

I know I'm not being very original, but I nominate the County Arcade and the Corn Exchange. If either of these buildings existed in, say, Milan, they would be in all the tour guides.
Attachments
__TFMF_hbbxs4vrqnswd2rc5ste1f55_cd8b2183-eb22-478f-a3d3-e1de7b00ad43_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_hbbxs4vrqnswd2rc5ste1f55_cd8b2183-eb22-478f-a3d3-e1de7b00ad43_0_main.jpg (71.16 KiB) Viewed 1767 times

oldleedsman

Post by oldleedsman »

And here's a photo of the County Arcade from the 1950s (didn't realise you could only attached one photo per message).
Attachments
__TFMF_hbbxs4vrqnswd2rc5ste1f55_46a7da29-a293-4515-8714-9ac66ecd2fb8_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_hbbxs4vrqnswd2rc5ste1f55_46a7da29-a293-4515-8714-9ac66ecd2fb8_0_main.jpg (96.08 KiB) Viewed 1767 times

stevief

Post by stevief »

wiggy wrote: kirkstall abbey,the parish church or adel chapel?? Leeds Parish Church gets my vote! There's no finer way to round off the weekend than sitting outside the Palace with a pint on a Sunday evening and listening to the bell-ringers going for it!!

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

stevief wrote: wiggy wrote: kirkstall abbey,the parish church or adel chapel?? Leeds Parish Church gets my vote! There's no finer way to round off the weekend than sitting outside the Palace with a pint on a Sunday evening and listening to the bell-ringers going for it!! Mate of mine lived in the housing complex behind the church - those bells are FAKKIN HORRIBLE! You can't hear yissen think, when they are clanging away! Watching telly is impossible...no chance of a lie in of a Sunday morning either! When he sold the place, he had to arrange appointments with prospective buyers at times when the bluddy things weren't active, or he'd NEVER have got rid of his house.
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

stevief

Post by stevief »

Scandy Bramley wrote: stevief wrote: wiggy wrote: kirkstall abbey,the parish church or adel chapel?? Leeds Parish Church gets my vote! There's no finer way to round off the weekend than sitting outside the Palace with a pint on a Sunday evening and listening to the bell-ringers going for it!! Mate of mine lived in the housing complex behind the church - those bells are FAKKIN HORRIBLE! You can't hear yissen think, when they are clanging away! Watching telly is impossible...no chance of a lie in of a Sunday morning either! When he sold the place, he had to arrange appointments with prospective buyers at times when the bluddy things weren't active, or he'd NEVER have got rid of his house. I never said I wanted to LIVE next to the parish church,just enjoy a pint,a little campanology then return to the comparative peace and quiet of Burley...