The Best Building in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
muhniepie

Post by muhniepie »

I am a fan of St Paul's House, Park Square. I love the Moorish corners and the tiles. http://www.leedscivictrust.org.uk/barran.htm - This link has got some history and more pictures of it.
Attachments
__TFMF_scdqjf55y5eakirica3sm455_33e28937-5b91-4063-8592-4253cdbcb67b_0_main.gif
__TFMF_scdqjf55y5eakirica3sm455_33e28937-5b91-4063-8592-4253cdbcb67b_0_main.gif (30.89 KiB) Viewed 2640 times

PeteFM

Post by PeteFM »

I'd say either Morley Town Hall or the Morley cooperative building

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

PeteFM wrote: I'd say either Morley Town Hall or the Morley cooperative building MORLEY TOWN HALL IS BUT A SHED COMPARED WITH LEEDS TOWN HALL....IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

chamusdarrach wrote: Sorry, but what was that last post by xx3xxx about???Is it caveman me being thick, but I just can't understand what he/she is talking about.On the subject of Leeds buildings, I must admit that I do like Bridgewater Place, to me it symbolises a bright new Leeds, unlike Bradford, with it's city centre crater (he he he !!!) ! yep im deffo with you on bridgewater place i must admit when i first saw the plans i thought it was a hoax or summet, and then when they started building it i thought it looked horrendous but the first time i saw the lights on top of it from the M62 like a symbol of hope in the distance aaah im home good old Leeds i blooody hate the place at times but i don't half miss it when im away from home
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

wiggy wrote: PeteFM wrote: I'd say either Morley Town Hall or the Morley cooperative building MORLEY TOWN HALL IS BUT A SHED COMPARED WITH LEEDS TOWN HALL....IN MY HUMBLE OPINION. That would tar Bolton and Portsmouth town halls with the same brush then?For the size of the town Morley Town Hall is quite impressive and arguably the best building in the town. Although I'd agree about the co-op. Plus look above all the former co-op buildings in Morley for the behive sculpture - once I master getting pix on here I'll put it on.
Industria Omnia Vincit

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

deano_bramley wrote: Does Mount St Marys church qualify? it is quite the beast Saw this on Skyscraper news page for Leeds,regarding Mount St Marys:-Parts of church can be flattenedMount St Mary's ChurchBy DAVID MARSH A CONTROVERSIAL scheme to demolish a key part of an historic Leeds church and convert it to flats has cleared a major hurdle.Councillors have backed a plan to breathe new life into Mount St Mary's Church, in Richmond Hill, which has seriously deteriorated since it closed in 1989.Under the scheme drawn up by MSM (Leeds) Ltd, the nave and aisles of the grade two-star-listed building will be knocked down and replaced by a similar-sized extension of 62 flats. The chancel and transepts – designed in 1866 by architect Edward Pugin – will be retained and restored.The presbytery, a grade two-listed building, will be demolished to make way for a five-storey block of 109 flats.Leeds Civic Trust and English Heritage supported the plan, while the Victorian Society and the Council for British Archaeology objected.Leeds City Council's east plans panel voted to approve the application in principle. They accepted the argument that unless development took place soon, the Catholic church faced complete demolition in the years ahead.Panel members were shown figures indicating that other schemes retaining more of the church were not financially viable. The projected losses ranged from £3.3m to £4.6m.The panel also agreed that other benefits normally associated with such a development – "affordable" homes and a £342,000 contribution from the developer for green space and public transport improvements – should be waived.Mount St Mary's was built in the 1850s for the Irish people who had moved to Leeds to escape the potato famine.Coun Mick Lyons (Lab, Temple Newsam) said: "All Catholics in east Leeds have great respect for this building."Many of them got baptised in this church and were married there. Knocking down the nave is disastrous but it has to be done. What is being proposed should work."Coun Rev Alan Taylor (Lib Dem, Gipton and Harehills) said: "I have seen the restoration and conversion of many churches during my ministry and this one is stunningly good."This building has made an enormous contribution to the life of the city, and particularly to the Irish community. The retention of the Pugin elements is absolutely right."Because the buildings are listed, the plan will be referred to Communities and Local Government Secretary Ruth Kelly, who can "call it in" for determination. If she does not, the council will grant approval. Not sure what to say really,clearly in need of saving but what a shame about the partial demolition.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

magic wrote: Wiggy,Sorry for going off on a tangent but have you any idea what the reason was for all the road works etc that were carried out on the roundabout adjacent to the epiphany. They were installing a massive storm drain / overflow to take the run off from Wyke Beck when it floods so (hopefully) the houses and school won't be flooded again. Apparenlty there is a massive holding tank under the roundabout now.Back on topic though...Best buildings, I have a few:Brunswick Building - and indeed much of the "modern" architecture at the Uni (did you know they filmed an episode of Blakes 7 there it looked so futuristic? If it isn't listed it should be.Leeds Town Hall - a monument to everything that was good from the Victorian age and still a source of civic pride.Bank House (formerly the Bank of England) - brutalistic 60s / 70s architecture at its best.The Kremlin (DSS Building) - like something from Flash Gordon or The Rocketeer. How did a modern government building approved by grey suited civil servants every look so striking?Temple Mill - fantastic building and totally at odds with it's surroundings. Hopefully about to enjoy a new lease of life, even if the sheep won't be returning to the roof.I could go on - there are many more wonderful buidlings around Leeds, if only you take the time to look for them.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

lister

Post by lister »

My personal favourite and one that I dont think has been mentioned yet. Just think its a striking centre piece for the heart of the city
Attachments
__TFMF_i3cpy445piimdc55qsrkfvvy_67278e34-9b76-404d-9d5a-c0a9d65d509e_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_i3cpy445piimdc55qsrkfvvy_67278e34-9b76-404d-9d5a-c0a9d65d509e_0_main.jpg (57.26 KiB) Viewed 2640 times