Bowers Yard off Lower Briggate.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Bowers Yard is an old yard that comes off Lower Briggate. I do not however recall ever hearing of the yard until July 11 2013 when I was on Lower Briggate and noticed what would presumably usually be a locked gated entry that was open. I popped in for a look round and quickly took some photos before anyone challenged me why I was there (or locked me in!). I subsequently found that the yard has had some brief passing mentions in SL, but nothing more than those. This image shows the location of Bowers Yard (and other yards) on an 1891 1:500 map in the excellent Old-Maps UK website.
Attachments
OldYardsOMUK18911To500.jpg
OldYardsOMUK18911To500.jpg (137.78 KiB) Viewed 4849 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (taken July 11 2013) shows the entry/exit of Bowers Yard (behind the motor bike).
Attachments
015R.jpg
015R.jpg (104.7 KiB) Viewed 4849 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (taken July 11 2013) shows a view inside Bowers Yard coming from Lower Briggate.
Attachments
008R.jpg
008R.jpg (96.35 KiB) Viewed 4849 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (taken July 11 2013) shows a view in Bowers Yard looking towards Lower Briggate (the narrow entry/exit to the yard from Lower Briggate can just be made out).
Attachments
009R.jpg
009R.jpg (106.79 KiB) Viewed 4849 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (taken July 11 2013) shows a flight of steps in Bowers Yard. I did not venture down so I wonder what they lead to?
Attachments
010R.jpg
010R.jpg (91.45 KiB) Viewed 4849 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (taken July 11 2013) shows 'Bowers' on an old looking sign near the start of the entry/exit of Bowers Yard. When I took this photo I did not know the name of the yard is Bowers Yard, so I did not know if the sign might have stated 'Bowers Yard' until I started to look for information. As the end part of the sign is very dark I may have just not noticed if there was more to the sign. Edit added July 13 2013. I had a very quick look today but I could not definitely make anything out after the 'Bowers' bit, though it did seem as if there was at least a 'D' where I would expect there to be one if the full name on the sign is 'Bowers Yard'. I was surprised to find the access gate was still open, but I did not have another look round the yard.    
Attachments
011R.jpg
011R.jpg (144.92 KiB) Viewed 4849 times

liits

Post by liits »

The Whip Hotel / Whip was variously addressed in the trade directories as Hirst's Yard, Bowers Yard and Hirst's & Bowers Yards. I'm guessing from the latter that the premises at one time had entrances in both yards. I can only ever remember the one in Hirst's Yard.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Thank you, Leodian, for posting yet another hidden yard of Leeds [I am right in thinking you have done this before?].As it happens this one brings back very, very blurry and indistinct memories for me as I think I once found myself in this yard after am under-age pub visit in the centre.Is there still a way through to the hotel yard? I'm struggling to recall whether this was one of the alleyways in the style of the one in which The Angel is situated whereby you find it once and use it and it seems to be in a different spot next time you come across it.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hi Barfly.I never went into the Whip (now the Mook) so I don't know if it did have access to Bowers Yard, but I would guess that it did. It may therefore be that the Mook has access to Bowers Yard, though as that seems mainly to be a storage area for wheelie bins it is not a pleasant place to go out to (perhaps a fire escape?). There did not seem to be any direct through way so Bowers Yard is effectively (if not actually) a cul-de-sac. I do wonder how the wheelie bins are moved in and out of Bowers Yard, but they may just be able to get through the narrow entry/exit to the yard.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

There was an entrance to the Whip down here.I am certain it was still in use until the late 1980's.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!