Northcote Private School, Armley Town St.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Caveman - how do you get from being OrchidHunter on the British Genealogy site to Caveman on here? No need to answer Caveman. It's not a serious question.I presume you are OrchidHunter. He has the same whereabouts in the UK as you with a similar interest in Northcote School.Anyway, your input to that site was some four years ago and since then in February 2012 to be precise, this turned up on the thread you started..........Northcote School, Armley Leeds I was at Northcote Commercial School from Easter 1949 until June 1959. Barbara Taylor Bradford was just leaving when I commenced but I remember her well as she did take me to school. She lived next door to the school her parents Winston and Freda Taylor and had a Dachsund dog called Snoopy. I lived a little bit further up from her in a house attached to Greenwoods greengrocers. My mum and dad ran this shop. A little further down Town Street was a tiny sweetshop (Dunne's). This lady's daughter taught in the Primary Class and was a very strict teacher as I remember. The Headmistress was Mrs Plowman. The house is no longer there and a row of houses now occupy the land. I have no photographs but many memories. If you require any more information my email is on my facebook - my name is Mavis Lynch (nee Greenwood).For ease, the site is...http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums ... ey-LeedsIn the meantime, this might be the closest you get to a picture of anything to do with the school. But you're getting warmer...http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... AY=FULLAnd just to finish off, there are seventeen former pupils on here. You need to register to view who they are....http://www.schoolguidez.com/united_king ... 82026/Good hunting!Alternatively, drop Barbara Taylor Bradford a line.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

caveman wrote: .........Hello Mavis,You must have attended Northcote the same time I was there. My name if Howard Beck. I think I went to the school between 1955-58 as I was 11 in 1958 and would then have moved to Swinnow Primary School shortly before we emmigrated to Australia. We came back to the UK two years later.Still searching for a photo of the school Hello again Caveman.You will need to put your response to Mavis on either the Genealogy site or the appropriate LEODIS page. She has commented on both of these. The associated photograph on LEODIS also shows a tiny part of the stone wall which formed the outer boundary of Northcote.    

weenie

Post by weenie »

Those houses are still there now the wall is still there the houses in place of Northcote are called Leywell Terrace, Town Street. here is of google maps http://goo.gl/maps/lY8Hthe numbers of the house at his momemt are 142-132 going down... although in 1930's 134 was further down where 120 is now. i some plans laying around... fellow long gone relative lived at 134 .. (old) Weenie

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

weenie wrote: Those houses are still there now the wall is still there the houses in place of Northcote are called Leywell Terrace, Town Street. here is of google maps http://goo.gl/maps/lY8Hthe numbers of the house at his momemt are 142-132 going down... although in 1930's 134 was further down where 120 is now. i some plans laying around... fellow long gone relative lived at 134 .. (old) Weenie My ex used to live at 132, with her dad and sister, in the 70's.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Derek Cartwright

Re: Northcote Private School, Armley Town St.

Post by Derek Cartwright »

Here's one old newspaper cutting of Northcote from around 1960.

Derek
Attachments
Armley, School bulb contest.JPG
Armley, School bulb contest.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 9010 times

Derek Cartwright

Manage to put one newspaper cutting here, now for a photo.

Derek
Attachments
Armley, 11-07-2009 Northcote School, Armley, Leeds_edited.JPG
Armley, 11-07-2009 Northcote School, Armley, Leeds_edited.JPG (848.42 KiB) Viewed 9009 times

Derek Cartwright

I was sent to Northcote School, 146 Town Street, Armley, Leeds. It was established in 1872 and was a fee-paying school in 1960 these were £4 4/- per term for 4 to 5 year olds and £7 7/- per term for over 5’s plus £1 5/- per term for dancing and £1 10/- per term for elocution. The only trace on Google I originally found of the school is that the author Barbara Taylor Bradford went there when it was a girl’s only school.

karen

Post by karen »

What a pleasure to see this picture - and to spot myself with socks neatly pulled up and a pudding bowl haircut. I remember Northcote well - there from 1959 to 1966. Came away with an advanced reading age, speaking French - and absolutely no knowledge of science. Plus some fond memories.