The statues of two children at the Leeds School Board.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Thorvald47

Re: The statues of two children at the Leeds School Board.

Post by Thorvald47 »

I believe these statues were done by a sculptor named Matthew Taylor. Here is a link to a confirming reference that also includes more information about the School Board building:

https://books.google.com/books?id=XU0cA ... eds&f=true

Matthew Taylor is my wife's first cousin 5x removed. Matthew was primarily a sculptor of monuments, busts, and architectural ornamentation. He was born in Leeds in 1837 and died at Arthington in 1889. He is buried in St. Peter's Churchyard, Arthington, beneath a monument he sculpted. Sadly, it is in very bad shape. There is another tombstone for his parents, William and Hannah Taylor, and one of his children, Lucy, that stands near the chapel in St. George's Fields on the University of Leeds campus, one of the few surviving monuments from Leeds General Cemetery. This monument is attributed to Matthew, as well. His work was also mentioned in catalogues of the Spring Exhibitions of the Leeds City Art Gallery in 1880 and 1889, although there are no illustrations and we have been unable to find any of the sculptures referenced in these catalogues.
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner, Requiem for a Nun

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Leeds Mercury Sept 29th 1881
LM Sept 29th 1881.png
LM Sept 29th 1881.png (180.16 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

Fascinating Stuff. This is the sort of thing that makes being a member of this Site worthwhile. I too have passed this building both as a child and an adult and though I have noticed the Iron gate I have never been inside. Keep up the good work.

liits

Post by liits »

"At night the entrance is closed by a wrought iron gate, which descends during the day onto the basement".
Well, the outside is now protected by a bog standard gate attached to the wall. I wonder if the original contraption is still in situ, just not working - or if it was removed / stopped working etc, etc?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

liits wrote:"At night the entrance is closed by a wrought iron gate, which descends during the day onto the basement".
Well, the outside is now protected by a bog standard gate attached to the wall. I wonder if the original contraption is still in situ, just not working - or if it was removed / stopped working etc, etc?
That's an interesting question liits. It would be fascinating if the workings are still in situ.

It reminded me of the windows at the Dyson's Clock building on Briggate that could be mechanically lowered below street level when the store closed (I wonder when that ended?). This is a copy of a related post in a SL thread:-

"Post by biofichompinc » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 12:27 pm sirjohn wrote: I would love to be able to see the gubbins that raised and lowered the shop windows.
Went for a meal in the AM Kitchen & Bar yesterday teatime. Very enjoyable too. Lovely food and a marvellous environment in which to dine.
The 'gubbins that raised and lowered' the window displays at Dyson & Sons is now on permanent show in one of the dining areas of the Marriott Hotel. Apparently the engine which ran the hydraulics system was relocated from the basement recently.
So Sir John. Hope you are still an active SL member and you can make your dream come true.

Post by sirjohn » Mon 01 Aug, 2011 9:09 pm. Wow - fantastic. I like gubbins!"

PS. Your "bog standard gate" made me :) liits. The doors on public toilets are such poor quality that if there is a 'bog standard door' requirement it can't be much as they seem to be easily subject to vandalism.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Thorvald47

Post by Thorvald47 »

One more note that reinforces EdinburghRob's conjecture about the model for the statue of the girl: The 1871 Census of England shows Matthew Taylor & family living at No. 6 Hillary Street in Leeds. Young Mary Ingleby and her family appear on the previous census page, living at No. 16 Hillary Street. Matthew may very well have chosen a neighbor child as his model. While this is not proof, it does, when coupled with the photograph, support the theory that Mary Ingleby was the model.
"The past is never dead. It's not even past." - William Faulkner, Requiem for a Nun

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thorvald47 wrote:One more note that reinforces EdinburghRob's conjecture about the model for the statue of the girl: The 1871 Census of England shows Matthew Taylor & family living at No. 6 Hillary Street in Leeds. Young Mary Ingleby and her family appear on the previous census page, living at No. 16 Hillary Street. Matthew may very well have chosen a neighbor child as his model. While this is not proof, it does, when coupled with the photograph, support the theory that Mary Ingleby was the model.
Thanks Thorvald47 for that research and information. :)
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.