Leeds First White Cloth Hall: public consulted on revamp

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
billybong27

Post by billybong27 »

is this guy phil d actually crazy? so you want to trust the council with carefully and correctly dismantling an ancient structure to rebuild another that they already let fall into disrepair and to then not destroy more of our history by building houses on the land where the barn once stood before you approved them taking it down?? shame on you what you propose is just straight vandalism and I hope I don't live to see the day stanks hall is taken down for more homes to be built in its place. It isn't just 'a muddy field in beeston' if you actually looked further into it you would find just how important all four of the buildings (barn, chapel, stanks hall and new hall) and the land they sit on are, I believe it was king james the 6th who was a frequent visitor to the place who used it for hunting and other activities, there has been found roman remains (speaking of which there was found a roman hypercourse under the white rose site which the council has 'misplaced') , it was also home to major Joshua greathead who fought in cromwells army, so instead of trying to aid in its destruction why not actually try and help with saving it from the council who would love for it to go so they can do as they wish with the land there is so much history in just that one site that it would be an absolute disgrace to look the other way

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

billybong27 wrote: is this guy phil d actually crazy? Welcome to the forum.I'm sure you will feel right at home here SillyBilly         
Attachments
noname.jpg
noname.jpg (71.04 KiB) Viewed 9566 times
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

billybong27 wrote: is this guy phil d actually crazy? so you want to trust the council with carefully and correctly dismantling an ancient structure to rebuild another that they already let fall into disrepair and to then not destroy more of our history by building houses on the land where the barn once stood before you approved them taking it down?? shame on you what you propose is just straight vandalism and I hope I don't live to see the day stanks hall is taken down for more homes to be built in its place. It isn't just 'a muddy field in beeston' if you actually looked further into it you would find just how important all four of the buildings (barn, chapel, stanks hall and new hall) and the land they sit on are, I believe it was king james the 6th who was a frequent visitor to the place who used it for hunting and other activities, there has been found roman remains (speaking of which there was found a roman hypercourse under the white rose site which the council has 'misplaced') , it was also home to major Joshua greathead who fought in cromwells army, so instead of trying to aid in its destruction why not actually try and help with saving it from the council who would love for it to go so they can do as they wish with the land there is so much history in just that one site that it would be an absolute disgrace to look the other way Not to be picky, but it's called Roman hypocaust. Not hypercourse.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

This has appeared on the BBC News site. Surely we've already been assured severally that the hall WILL be reconstructed, now it seems to have reverted to a need for a feasibility study to determine if 'restoration can be carried out in a financially sustainable manner'I suspect that the writing is on the wall (or would be if the remains hadn't been removed) spelling an end to this project.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... 16Kirkgate grant helps restore Leeds' historic streetThe First White Cloth Hall in Leeds - an impression The cloth hall is a "fragile" Grade II* listed building, Leeds City Council said. Continue reading the main story Related StoriesHistorical street work delayed Oldest trade hall set for revamp Demolition for historic building A lottery grant is to be used to restore parts of an historic street in Leeds and help conserve the city's "important" First White Cloth Hall.The £1.5m grant is to repair and refurbish business premises along Kirkgate and start a feasibility study on the cloth hall's restoration.It is a "fragile" Grade II* listed building that needs considerable investment, Leeds City Council said.It is hoped some of the improvement works could start in the summer.Along Lower Kirkgate the buildings are mainly 18th and 19th Century three-storey terraced properties.The cloth hall is the "most important building" on that part of the street, the authority said.It hopes to see if the restoration can be carried out in a "financially sustainable manner".The building was built in 1711 as a covered market for the sale of cloth.Surveys, conservation and archaeological investigations would lead to a feasibility study and further consultation on the eventual repair of the building. The First White Cloth Hall as it is currently The council is to see if the cloth hall can be restored.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

If anyone has time on their hands could they pick th bones out of this please.http://democracy.leeds.gov.uk/documents ... 0614.pdfMy shifts are all over at teh moment so patience is thin on the ground.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

This actually looks pretty good. I've seen similar Council documents in the past that are clearly aimed at building a case to get rid of a building they can't be arsed with, and this ain't one of those. Fingers crossed!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

cnosni wrote: If anyone has time on their hands could they pick th bones out of this please.http://democracy.leeds.gov.uk/documents ... 0614.pdfMy shifts are all over at teh moment so patience is thin on the ground. Great link cnosni. On the map on page 10 of the information brought up through the link it marks a 'Crown Court' and 'Law Courts' on Crown Street. That is interesting history of Leeds that I don't recall knowing before (if I did I've forgotten). There is even a Crown Court building still there, as seen in this reduced Google Street View image that I've just captured.Edit just after posting. Oops, I seem to have reduced it too much! Click on the paper clip to get a slightly bigger version.
Attachments
CrownCourtOnCrownStreet(Reduced).jpg
CrownCourtOnCrownStreet(Reduced).jpg (97.46 KiB) Viewed 9573 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

jim

Re: Leeds First White Cloth Hall: public consulted on revamp

Post by jim »

Walking down Kirkgate today I noted the doorway to the east wing of the White Cloth Hall open, a generator evident, and some kind of work in progress. There may be opportunities for those with cameras.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I was unsure where to post this photo so I've done so in this thread. I took it on December 2 2015 in Crown Street Car Park. It shows what I think are interesting various bricks on a building just a little way down from the First White Cloth Hall 'demolition' site.
Attachments
Differing bricks at  a building in Crown Street Car Park near the First White Cloth Hall remains (taken Dec 2 2015).
Differing bricks at a building in Crown Street Car Park near the First White Cloth Hall remains (taken Dec 2 2015).
514R.jpg (145.47 KiB) Viewed 9106 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

You were stood in what was the Fox and Grapes Yard, there were four buildings attached to this wall and along to the left to the alleyway.

:arrow:
Attachments
Fox & Grapes Yard.JPG
Fox & Grapes Yard.JPG (182.22 KiB) Viewed 9102 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?