Victoriagate/Eastgate Quarter Development

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

chameleon wrote: I wonder if this is indicative of the magnitude of prices that may be needed to cover the costs of the future tenants of the development -http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6839256     Perhaps the council are hoping that these prices will finally encourage people to use the currently deserted Elland Road Park and Ride....
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

LS1

Post by LS1 »

j.c.d. wrote: When this project is completed where are the new influx of expected shoppers going to park ?. Probably here also...

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

LS1 wrote: j.c.d. wrote: When this project is completed where are the new influx of expected shoppers going to park ?. Probably here also... Well to be fair, having looked a little deeper into this, it appears that the story of the car park charges are a bit of a red herring.The prices quoted in the article are based on if you were to park in the respective car parks for 24 hours, something i would be surprised anyone would actually do in this part of town.The actual cost for short stay parking for 4 hours is comparable to most of the parking in Leeds and the pricing structure is skewed towards attracting shoppers and discouraging commuters.So Ravey is correct in the respect that its a "deterrent" as such to encourage the use of Park and Ride at Elland Road (which i notice is getting more users) for those who come in to the city to work.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

cnosni wrote: LS1 wrote: j.c.d. wrote: When this project is completed where are the new influx of expected shoppers going to park ?. Probably here also... Well to be fair, having looked a little deeper into this, it appears that the story of the car park charges are a bit of a red herring.The prices quoted in the article are based on if you were to park in the respective car parks for 24 hours, something i would be surprised anyone would actually do in this part of town.The actual cost for short stay parking for 4 hours is comparable to most of the parking in Leeds and the pricing structure is skewed towards attracting shoppers and discouraging commuters.So Ravey is correct in the respect that its a "deterrent" as such to encourage the use of Park and Ride at Elland Road (which i notice is getting more users) for those who come in to the city to work. Yes, it did go on to say that these were for long term paking and as I recall differentiated between the two parks as one long term and the other short term, but the short term seemed a little steep still to me - but non the less, the norm perhaps for Leeds.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo on September 23 2014. It shows a view from Harewood Street looking across the Victoria Gate development. It's hard to take photos now with the security boarding round the site so I took this photo by sticking my camera lens through some metal mesh fencing (it was just large enough to fit) and hoping for the best! The view will not be seen when the Millgarth Police Station soon gets demolished and also when Victoria Gate starts being built. PS. The very high crane structure went up very fast as can be seen in the 9:15 a.m. and 10:45 a.m. images on September 19 2014 in the Victoria Gate webcam archive: http://hammerson.reachtimelapse.co.uk/victoriagate/
Attachments
004R.jpg
004R.jpg (85.46 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I first noticed the crane yesterday (last night). I was a little surprised at its height given all the renders I've seen suggest nothing will be more than 3 - 4 floors and therefore only about half the cranes height.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is a photo that I took today (October 9 2014) at the Millgarth end of the development. Some workmen can be seen well below the area immediately behind, so either that end has been dug down more or the higher part has been built up. I wonder if the lower area is going to be a basement area at the site? Taking the photo was very hard as the mesh of the grid on the security fencing there is narrow and so to not get the grid showing in the image I managed to (just!) squeeze my compact digital camera through the fence and then awkwardly managed to squeeze my hand through and was then just able to press the button to open the camera lens and then press the shutter and hoped something came out (hence the not well composed image). Then closed the camera and just managed to get it back out! It's not a photo-friendly site to take photos .
Attachments
002R.jpg
002R.jpg (104.17 KiB) Viewed 2352 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is another photo I took today (October 9 2014) from a slightly different angle but with just as much difficulty!
Attachments
001R.jpg
001R.jpg (100.16 KiB) Viewed 2354 times

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Leodian wrote: This is another photo I took today (October 9 2014) from a slightly different angle but with just as much difficulty! Dont go losing that camera Leo, its valued as much by all of us on here as it is to you.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

cnosni wrote: Dont go losing that camera Leo, its valued as much by all of us on here as it is to you. I second that along with marveling at how Leo can describe the first image as not well composed. I'd have been proud of it even without having to take it squeezed through a wire mesh fence.The car park behind milgarth was always reasonably flat and therefore dug into the hillside. The retaining wall at the back therefore being much higher on the east/bottom side than it was on the public car park side. It is a new retaining wall though and does appear to be higher so it looks like the top side may have been built up a little. Edit. The 2nd image suggests the workmen are standing at a level below the actual road that is/was millgarth street so it looks like its a bit of both. Its worth remembering that while car parks are fine on slopes they'll be wanting to have flat floors in the new construction so they will be presumably digging out more layers
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/