Victoriagate/Eastgate Quarter Development

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Leodian wrote: This is a photo that I took today (October 9 2014) at the Millgarth end of the development. Some workmen can be seen well below the area immediately behind, so either that end has been dug down more or the higher part has been built up. I wonder if the lower area is going to be a basement area at the site? Taking the photo was very hard as the mesh of the grid on the security fencing there is narrow and so to not get the grid showing in the image I managed to (just!) squeeze my compact digital camera through the fence and then awkwardly managed to squeeze my hand through and was then just able to press the button to open the camera lens and then press the shutter and hoped something came out (hence the not well composed image). Then closed the camera and just managed to get it back out! It's not a photo-friendly site to take photos . Don't forget there is still the live view available too http://hammerson.reachtimelapse.co.uk/v ... H7llr.dpuf
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Re: Victoriagate/Eastgate Quarter Development

Post by Leodian »

In connection with the Victoria Gate development some demolition work as recently started at the Millgarth Police Station. The security/safety boarding round the site makes it hard to take reasonable photos but I took this one on October 21 2014. It shows that at least some of the inside of the building is being brought down, which seems odd to me as I would have thought that the demolition of the building would not need any initial removing of floors. In the rear part of the feature on the roundabout at the bottom of Eastgate can be seen. That feature (which I still know of as Appleyard's petrol station) is something that will have not been visible from this view point for very many years. I shall post another view of the work in my next post.
Attachments
007R.jpg
007R.jpg (126.26 KiB) Viewed 2915 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This is the other photo taken on October 21 2014 showing a scene at the then being demolished Millgarth Police Station.
Attachments
009R.jpg
009R.jpg (124.19 KiB) Viewed 2915 times

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

It's surprising to see what look like expensive CCTV cameras and air conditioning units still in place, whilst demolition is underway. You might have thought that they would have a value, even only as scrap?

Then again, it was only public money that was used to buy them...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Millgarth is coming down

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost. ... count=5467

-courtesy of "Leeds Rules" on Skyscrapercity

Better get down there Leodian!!
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

These are some of the photos that I took at the site on November 13 2014.
Attachments
Zoomed-in view under the Police Station with the old 'Appleyards' garage at the bottom of Eastgate in the rear.
Zoomed-in view under the Police Station with the old 'Appleyards' garage at the bottom of Eastgate in the rear.
009R.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Wider view from St Peter's Street.
Wider view from St Peter's Street.
005R.jpg (89.41 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
View from junction of Dyer Street and St Peter's Street.
View from junction of Dyer Street and St Peter's Street.
003R.jpg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 2795 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The maximum attachments is 3, so these are 2 more of the photos that I took at the site on November 13 2014.
Attachments
A general view of the site from Harewood Street  but also a fun one (well it amused me!) of the 'No waiting at any time except taxis' sign that is still there (it would be near what was the Union Street/Harewood Street junction). I like the bendy crane!<br />Edit added Nov 30 2014. Passing on Nov 26 I noticed the 'No waiting...' sign is no longer there!
A general view of the site from Harewood Street but also a fun one (well it amused me!) of the 'No waiting at any time except taxis' sign that is still there (it would be near what was the Union Street/Harewood Street junction). I like the bendy crane!
Edit added Nov 30 2014. Passing on Nov 26 I noticed the 'No waiting...' sign is no longer there!
014R.jpg (142.15 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
View from George Street of the demolition work that had just started on the ramp stairway. The mist is spray from a water blower to keep dust down.
View from George Street of the demolition work that had just started on the ramp stairway. The mist is spray from a water blower to keep dust down.
012R.jpg (101.69 KiB) Viewed 2795 times
Last edited by Leodian on Sun 30 Nov, 2014 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keg

Post by Keg »

Cripes!

They have got on fast with this. I think the bendy crane is a concrete pump.

I remember parking on the old black gravel/tarmac car parks down the side of the market with my mum to get fish for dinner most fridays. An old Irish gent used to take the money, this will have been around 1973/4.

Speaking to a contact who works in Austin Reed on Commercial street, they said that there were not renewing their lease and are waiting for the JLP to be built and will look at new sites over near Vicar Lane as they think that everything will get pulled back across.
I'm not sure Leeds and it surrounds are big enough to have so much shopping.
Keg

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took these 3 photos today (November 19 2014) showing some further demolition work on Millgarth Police Station.
Attachments
View from near Eastgate (the 'mist' is dust).
View from near Eastgate (the 'mist' is dust).
002.JPG (1.96 MiB) Viewed 2709 times
View from George Street/Dyer Street.
View from George Street/Dyer Street.
004R.jpg (94.51 KiB) Viewed 2709 times
View of the St Peter's frontage.
View of the St Peter's frontage.
005R.jpg (71.97 KiB) Viewed 2709 times

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

On a visit to Leeds this weekend I went and had a look at the demolition. I can't believe that the developers could have been given permission to demolish the left hand side, one of the few classy looking streets in town. I realise that this must have been spoken of at great length previously but I have to say that it made me feel so sad to what I would have called an Iconic landmark. Still can't t believe it.