Parkside

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

The Parksider wrote: wayniac wrote: That's very interesting. My Mum's cousin is Bill Ramsey. I'd love to catch up with some of the old players.I watched games at Parkside from the late 50's until they almost folded and Geoff Gunney got behind New Hunslet.I assume Graham Wilson is the hooker who played for Hunslet. He is a character, blind as a bat. Bill Ramsay coached the club around 1977 in the second division. His side slaughtered everyone and it was a great season.Graham Wilson was the blond hooker who didn't play long for hunslet, he left for Bradford.Geoff Gunney was told by the board in 1973 that unfortunately they could not find nor afford a new ground, and Parkside was crumbling and costing them a fortune.Geoff doubled checked at the Greyhound stadium who said that they had had no contact from the club, so he kicked the club off again there. There was a lot of bitterness about the sale of Parkside and some directors preferred to cash in on the land rather than help the club carry on. Having said that a couple of them were very very honourable and could not stop the sale so they helped the club and local juniors wonderfully in future yearsI once asked about a new director on the board in the 1980's who had come and gone, wondering why? The answer was he quickly found you had to put money in not take it out so off he went!! Wasn't there a time in the fifties when Parkside was used for greyhounds - or have I imagined that?
Industria Omnia Vincit

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Trojan wrote: Wasn't there a time in the fifties when Parkside was used for greyhounds - or have I imagined that? A seperate stadium was built the other side of the miggy railway just under the bridge coming down old run road. It was knocked down for the printers Blackburns who I think have gone bust. It was called the Parkside Sports Stadium

pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

Here you are boys.The team of 62-63.Note the chocolate hoops shirts and the myrtle socks and not a sign of white boots.
Attachments
__TFMF_qjtjf255xa1cw545fg5lteat_b5ae49a5-040f-492e-a5a6-bfe98c5a6d1f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_qjtjf255xa1cw545fg5lteat_b5ae49a5-040f-492e-a5a6-bfe98c5a6d1f_0_main.jpg (210.89 KiB) Viewed 4854 times

pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

For you blokes in the Northern Hemisphere this may be a better pic.

pashy2

Post by pashy2 »

try again
Attachments
__TFMF_qjtjf255xa1cw545fg5lteat_2be1fcca-2797-4bb2-8b5e-3305af378587_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_qjtjf255xa1cw545fg5lteat_2be1fcca-2797-4bb2-8b5e-3305af378587_0_main.jpg (212.71 KiB) Viewed 4854 times

tomq

Post by tomq »

Thanks for the correction Parksider. It all comes back to me now!This link to Leodis shows the position of the greyhound stadium in relation to the rugby/cricket stadium.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... fier=10032
Tom

yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

I'm looking for any info on a Hunslet player from the early 50s.All I have is the surname of Anson. I have it third hand that he played for them so I cannot say 100% he did.Thanks in advance for any help
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

Middleton Sheriff

Post by Middleton Sheriff »

I was a serving Leeds City Bobby when Hunslet played their last game at Parkside, I was on duty in the ground for that match. I remember getting a programme specially for my Dad because he was a Hunslet player just before the war.We were good Hunslet stock my Dad being born in Royal Grove and me in the prefabs on Low Road.I'm sure Geoff Gunney played in that last match.Did they not start up again as Hunslet Phoenix at the Greyhound Stadium on Elland Road?

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Middleton Sheriff wrote: I was a serving Leeds City Bobby when Hunslet played their last game at Parkside, I was on duty in the ground for that match. I remember getting a programme specially for my Dad because he was a Hunslet player just before the war.We were good Hunslet stock my Dad being born in Royal Grove and me in the prefabs on Low Road.I'm sure Geoff Gunney played in that last match.Did they not start up again as Hunslet Phoenix at the Greyhound Stadium on Elland Road? Although they used a phoenix as a badge I dont think they ever used the name, officially at least. they used the name 'New Hunslet' for a while around this time, and played at the Greyhound stadium. probably the most remarkable about the ground was the american football style goalposts - ie 'Y' shaped with only one support
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

The phoenix was both nickname and badge and refers to the phoenix rising from the flames. "so we shall again" may also refer to the phoenix but is also preceded by "We've swept the sea before boys, and......."
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/