Parkside

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
yorkiesknob

Post by yorkiesknob »

tilly wrote: yorkiesknob wrote: Tilly , you mentioned boxing booths. Here's a link to the last surviving one in Aussie,maybe the last one in the world.http://media01.couriermail.com.au/extra ... 6ISFS.html Many thanks for that yorkiesknob I was too young to go in at the time but it must have sorted the men from the boys i have many happy memories of that area used to be our playground when i lived in Hunslet. Tilly, many a local hard nut gets sorted out by boxers half their size. Its a hoot to attend ,only being to the show twice . Always sticks in my mind as one of the best sideshow attractions.
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

yorkiesknob wrote: carith wrote: The first game at Parkside was played on 11 February, 1888, when they played and beat Mirfield. Just four seasons later Hunslet won their first trophy, the Yorkshire Cup, beating Leeds. In 1895, Hunslet were one of the twenty-one clubs that broke away from the Rugby Football Union, and joined the Northern Union. Hunslet adopted chocolate and white shirts in the 1890s. Carith,             Do you know of any source where I can track down Hunslet players from the 1950s. Any lead or direction would be warmly welcomed.     Names that come to mind from the fifties and early sixties are Harry Poole, Geoff Gunney, Jeff Stevenson, Brian Gabitas, Alan Marchant. Brian Shaw signed for Leeds from Hunslet in the early sixties, for the then world record fee of £12K whether he played in the fifties I don't know.
Industria Omnia Vincit

carith

Post by carith »

Dont forget the great Alfie "ginger"Burnell. You should be able trace former players on the Hunslet Hawks website.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

yorkiesknob wrote:              Do you know of any source where I can track down Hunslet players from the 1950s. Any lead or direction would be warmly welcomed.     The players from the Old Hunslet club have re-unions every year.You only have to have played for Hunslet at Parkside to qualify.The oldest may be Sid Rookes from the 1940's. He's 90 odd.The youngest may be pushing 60 now....So sadly many of the 1950's players have passed onFrom the fifties I met Cec Thompson who wrote a book about his life.Geoff Gunney was my hero and is still about.Try ringing the actual club for the contact which was Graham Wilson at one time.What are you after exactly???

carith

Post by carith »

If you contact the Prospect pub on moor road hunslet they should be able to provide details of the reunion which is usually the second Sunday in June.

wayniac

Post by wayniac »

carith wrote: If you contact the Prospect pub on moor road hunslet they should be able to provide details of the reunion which is usually the second Sunday in June. That's very interesting. My Mum's cousin is Bill Ramsey. I'd love to catch up with some of the old players.I watched games at Parkside from the late 50's until they almost folded and Geoff Gunney got behind New Hunslet.Luckily we're coming to Leeds and arrive on June 11th, might be able to catch up with "our Bill".I assume Graham Wilson is the hooker who played for Hunslet. He is a character, blind as a bat.

tomq

Post by tomq »

Reading this thread brings back memories of a childhood & youth watching Hunslet. I was also prompted to see if I could remember, without resort to Google, the Hunslet team from the Cup Final in 1965, although, as I will be using the same brain that couldn't remember a subway I must have passed hundreds of times, the chances of success could be slim.Here goes. Corrections from memory only welcome.LangtonGriffiths, Preece, Shelton, Lee.Gabbitas, Stevenson.Eyre, Smith, Hartley.Gunney, Ramsey.Ward.
Tom

tilly

Post by tilly »

tomq wrote: Reading this thread brings back memories of a childhood & youth watching Hunslet. I was also prompted to see if I could remember, without resort to Google, the Hunslet team from the Cup Final in 1965, although, as I will be using the same brain that couldn't remember a subway I must have passed hundreds of times, the chances of success could be slim.Here goes. Corrections from memory only welcome.LangtonGriffiths, Preece, Shelton, Lee.Gabbitas, Stevenson.Eyre, Smith, Hartley.Gunney, Ramsey.Ward. Hi tomq you have put Eyre has one of the players would that be Kenny or Albert Eyre if so they both went to my old school Bewerley Street.They were both top class players so did Barry Seaborn and Syd Heinz i think that is how it is spelt he went on to coach Leeds.Not a bad line up from one school.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

tomq wrote: Reading this thread brings back memories of a childhood & youth watching Hunslet. I was also prompted to see if I could remember, without resort to Google, the Hunslet team from the Cup Final in 1965, although, as I will be using the same brain that couldn't remember a subway I must have passed hundreds of times, the chances of success could be slim.Here goes. Corrections from memory only welcome.LangtonGriffiths, Preece, Shelton, Lee.Gabbitas, Stevenson.Eyre, Smith, Hartley.Gunney, Ramsey.Ward. 11 out of 13 Tom, Smith wasn't the hooker and hadn't been for some time. It was Bernard Prior who was a Hunslet Junior but went to leeds then back to Hunslet. The scrum half wasn't Jeff Stevenson who had to retire through injury and was replaced by Alan Marchant. His son Tony was a cup winner with Cas.The team was all Hunslet lads apart from Griffiths who was from Wales, Marchant from the Cas area, Ward from York and I think Dennis Hartley was from Doncaster. Hunslet lads Arthur Render and Billy Baldwinson were in the squad.The prop was Kenny Eyre, his brother albert went to Leeds from the juniors. At that time Syd Hynes was a south Leeds lad I think and Barry Seabourne and Mick shoebottom were too.Hunslet had the young talent, but Leeds had the money, now Leeds have both and good luck to them.The strip was a white shirt with Chocolate V because for the semi final the chocolate bands clashed with Trinitys shirts on the TV. When they got to Wembley they sewed on some of the old blazer badges to make the shirts look more special - but there were in the old myrtle white and flame colours!! they were skint!The myrtle white and flame was adopted after Hunslet wore white shirts and certain players kept nicking them for work. Those colours were the university colours as Hunslet actually prided themselves as a whole of "Leeds" club. That tradition came from the days the Leeds club were nothing special and out at Headingley whereas Hunslet attracted most of the support in the city which was all across south, central and east leeds.I could ramble on forever but better stop.....

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

wayniac wrote: That's very interesting. My Mum's cousin is Bill Ramsey. I'd love to catch up with some of the old players.I watched games at Parkside from the late 50's until they almost folded and Geoff Gunney got behind New Hunslet.I assume Graham Wilson is the hooker who played for Hunslet. He is a character, blind as a bat. Bill Ramsay coached the club around 1977 in the second division. His side slaughtered everyone and it was a great season.Graham Wilson was the blond hooker who didn't play long for hunslet, he left for Bradford.Geoff Gunney was told by the board in 1973 that unfortunately they could not find nor afford a new ground, and Parkside was crumbling and costing them a fortune.Geoff doubled checked at the Greyhound stadium who said that they had had no contact from the club, so he kicked the club off again there. There was a lot of bitterness about the sale of Parkside and some directors preferred to cash in on the land rather than help the club carry on. Having said that a couple of them were very very honourable and could not stop the sale so they helped the club and local juniors wonderfully in future yearsI once asked about a new director on the board in the 1980's who had come and gone, wondering why? The answer was he quickly found you had to put money in not take it out so off he went!!