Springfield?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
keithd1488

Re: Springfield?

Post by keithd1488 »

IT was on Scotland Lane and yes it was a residential school and was run by Leeds City Council,cause i went grow up there in the 1970 had a school and bed rooms boys was on one floor and boys was on the other think it closed some time in the 90

keithd1488

Post by keithd1488 »

IT was on Scotland Lane and yes it was a residential school and was run by Leeds City Council,cause i went grow up there in the 1970 had a school and bed rooms boys was on one floor and boys was on the other think it closed some time in the 90

webmaster786

Post by webmaster786 »

Hello there Si ??I think Springfield is 100 miles south of Mr Groening's hometown of Portland, and its population 59,000 as of the 2010 population estimates.As i search on this project one time it was a residential school and more recently was used to house émigré

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

D'oh!

:?

Bromptonaut

Post by Bromptonaut »

It was a boarding school for people with what today we would call Special Educational Needs. Started to be used as such post WW2 but cannot say exactly when. Certainly it was well established by 1966 when my memories of it begin. My Mother taught there until she retired c1986. Heads I remember were Arthur Smith and later John Kirby. If I scratch my head I can remember a few other teachers including Miss Heald and Mr Waite. All dead now I think.

Initially it was run by the West Riding County Council and, after local government reform in 1974, Leeds MBC. Residential by term until quite late on in its time when it went over to weekly boarding. The school closed not that long after but was used to house refugees from the Yugoslav conflict.