More Bunkers

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Hotitalian

Post by Hotitalian »

Just to add that there is also a Royal Observer Corps bunker on the top of Otley Chevin, close to the red warning light. Can anyone shed any light on the strange concrete bunkers/ramps in the fields to the left as you turn off the Bradford/Harrogate road onto East Chevin Road.
Hot

rikj

Post by rikj »

Very observant of you hotitalian, that's if it's the same place I'm thinking of...This was a Heavy Anti Aircraft battery protecting the AVRO factory at Yeadon. It wasn't the only one, but little remains of the others. It was 644 HAA Battery of 109 AA Regiment to be precise.Fixed 3.7" guns were used here, but mobile guns were used at the nearby Plane Hill battery. These were then taken in 1944 for use in the Normandy landings I think.Unusually, there is no accomodation for gun crews at the site you mention, they were probably billeted at the nearby farms.Thanks to my colleague in exploration, ordnance, for much of this info.

Hotitalian

Post by Hotitalian »

Thanks for that Rik, it's been bugging me for years, and yes they are the ones you are thinking of.
Hot

floodland

Post by floodland »

please can you post google earth images showing the locations of these two features? cheers

rikj

Post by rikj »

Hi floodland, hopefully this image of the HAA battery from google earth will upload OK. Don't think the location info will be readable with these small pics so get back to us if you need more precise info. It's a listed building I think, so should be easy enough to find. Bear in mind that it isn't on a public right of way.The subbrit (Subterranea Brittanica) site has a database with the locations of all the ROC posts. It's in the RSG (Research Study Group) section of the site and can be a little awkward to get to grips with, but all the info is there.
Attachments
HAAbattery (Custom).jpg
HAAbattery (Custom).jpg (14.9 KiB) Viewed 2121 times