Lead Chapel

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Scotteh2k8

Post by Scotteh2k8 »

I was debating with myself whether to place this post under this Buildings and Sructures section or the Ghosty section.So yeah, me, my girlfriend and my brother (big_rob2004) all went to see a steam engine today and on our way we drove past (or through) Towton, the small now (disappeared) Village of Lead. What I'm telling you all about in this post is a small church located in a field here. It was commonly used by the families Tyas and Scargil in the 12th century and their graves (or tombstones) are actually inside this small church.The church is rather odd and has an eerie feel and look to it, and is open to the public 24 hours a day, ALL year round, it is never locked, and their is rarely ever a service.Being eerie annd spooky is the reason we actuallly decided to get out of the car and have a nosey when on the way back, to get some photos as I found it a rather unusual structure, unusual in the sense of how small and abandoned it is. Stories behind the building is that it is constructed on what was an old battlefield where the end of the War of the Roses took place. There is a river or beck you cross over to get to the church known as something like 'the river of blood'. All around the area there has been large numbers of ghost sightings, such as spirits of horses and villagers. The church is often said to be seen on a night wiith lights on inside it, but when people go to inspect, they find the place in darkness, partly due to the fact that there are NO lights inside the church... how strange ey. Anyways I do have a number of photos, one of which I will display on here. If you wish for me to post more such as the insides of the building wiith tombstones and ancient symbols/lettering etc, let me know on here and Ill whack em up.If anyone else has visited it, feel free to post up your reviews
Attachments
__TFMF_ch101355lxmt50ie4lginw3h_17f1c99d-fd24-48c4-bdfd-542209145b07_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_ch101355lxmt50ie4lginw3h_17f1c99d-fd24-48c4-bdfd-542209145b07_0_main.jpg (806.32 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
For every action, there is a reaction

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

This church was part of an old village,predating by centuries the battle that you mention,which was the battle of Towton just further up the road.The field in which it stands is not the battle site,however the beck you mention does flow down from the area of the battle field site.This area was where parts of the retreating Lancastrian army were pretty much slaughtered.The beck is at the bottom of a long sloping hill,a difficult piece of terrain to negotiate when you are running for your life in a snow blizzard.As a consequence of all of this a great deal of the Lancastrian contingent who had decided this was there only route of escape were cut down whilst trying to get over the beck,bodies piled up on top of more bodies until the beck was red with their blood.Towton is deemed to be the biggest battle on English soil.With a reported (by the victors) 28000 dead.If the battle was to be restaged today ,using the same percentage of the population of England involved at the time of the battle, then it is believed we would be talking in excess of a million troops to have the same percentage of population now as then involved in the battle.Back to the church. If you notice in the field all around the church there are lumps and bumps,the remains of the dwellings of the villiage.The farm adjacent is believed to be on the site of the manor house for the village.Apart from the church the only remnant of the villages existance during the middle ages is the fish pond,situated between the farm and the road,a little further towards the south.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: This church was part of an old village,predating by centuries the battle that you mention,which was the battle of Towton just further up the road.The field in which it stands is not the battle site,however the beck you mention does flow down from the area of the battle field site.This area was where parts of the retreating Lancastrian army were pretty much slaughtered.The beck is at the bottom of a long sloping hill,a difficult piece of terrain to negotiate when you are running for your life in a snow blizzard.As a consequence of all of this a great deal of the Lancastrian contingent who had decided this was there only route of escape were cut down whilst trying to get over the beck,bodies piled up on top of more bodies until the beck was red with their blood.Towton is deemed to be the biggest battle on English soil.With a reported (by the victors) 28000 dead.If the battle was to be restaged today ,using the same percentage of the population of England involved at the time of the battle, then it is believed we would be talking in excess of a million troops to have the same percentage of population now as then involved in the battle.Back to the church. If you notice in the field all around the church there are lumps and bumps,the remains of the dwellings of the villiage.The farm adjacent is believed to be on the site of the manor house for the village.Apart from the church the only remnant of the villages existance during the middle ages is the fish pond,situated between the farm and the road,a little further towards the south. the monument says 50,000 dead,and is billed as the biggest loss of life on english soil.according to roman chronicals(renound for thier exagerations)boudica had an army of 250,000 at the battle of watling street!the guy mentions the name tyas,as it happens,my mate trevor tyas lives close by!        
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

My understanding from what i had read was it was around 28000 dead,wikipedia seems to back this up"The Battle of Towton in the Wars of the Roses was the largest and bloodiest ever fought on British soil, with casualties believed to have been in excess of 20,000 (perhaps as many as 30,000) men. Roughly 1% of the entire English population at the time died at Towton. The battle took place on a snowy 29 March 1461 (Palm Sunday) on a plateau between the villages of Towton and Saxton in Yorkshire (about 12 miles (19 km) southwest of York and about 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Tadcaster).It is thought that 50,000, or perhaps even 100,000 men fought, including 28 Lords (almost half the peerage), mainly on the Lancastrian side. The numbers often given are 42,000 for the Lancastrians and 36,000 for the Yorkists.Part of the reason that so many died is because both sides resolved that no quarter would be given.[1]"Unfortunately there is always some doubt as to the accuracy of numbers in medieaval battles,as the story is usually written by the associates of the victors,and therefore it has been found that figures can be inflated somewhat to improve the standing of the victor.Suffice to say that this battle was one of a number of battles where the most feared weapon in Europe,the Longbow,was pitted against and army similarly armed and trained,and as a result seriously diminished the "stock" of archers available by the end of the wars of the Roses,and though there were still contingents of them used during the times of Henry VIII it was never to the degree seen at this time or during the hundred years war.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

cnosni wrote: My understanding from what i had read was it was around 28000 dead,wikipedia seems to back this up"The Battle of Towton in the Wars of the Roses was the largest and bloodiest ever fought on British soil, with casualties believed to have been in excess of 20,000 (perhaps as many as 30,000) men. Roughly 1% of the entire English population at the time died at Towton. The battle took place on a snowy 29 March 1461 (Palm Sunday) on a plateau between the villages of Towton and Saxton in Yorkshire (about 12 miles (19 km) southwest of York and about 2 miles (3.2 km) south of Tadcaster).It is thought that 50,000, or perhaps even 100,000 men fought, including 28 Lords (almost half the peerage), mainly on the Lancastrian side. The numbers often given are 42,000 for the Lancastrians and 36,000 for the Yorkists.Part of the reason that so many died is because both sides resolved that no quarter would be given.[1]"Unfortunately there is always some doubt as to the accuracy of numbers in medieaval battles,as the story is usually written by the associates of the victors,and therefore it has been found that figures can be inflated somewhat to improve the standing of the victor.Suffice to say that this battle was one of a number of battles where the most feared weapon in Europe,the Longbow,was pitted against and army similarly armed and trained,and as a result seriously diminished the "stock" of archers available by the end of the wars of the Roses,and though there were still contingents of them used during the times of Henry VIII it was never to the degree seen at this time or during the hundred years war. their is a monument in the field there,near the crooked billet,it is inscribed in latin and english and very clearly says 50,000....i read this whilst i should of been in class with you cnosni. wikipedia can never be relied on 100% as anyone can change it at will.....have a look again me old mate.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

electricaldave

Post by electricaldave »

There is not as much as you might imagine that can be stated as fact about the Battle of Towton Moor.Fact is that even the location of the battlefield is not certain, nor the routes taken by the opposing armies, right down to the alliegencies of certain significant families.There is a good deal of research about Towton Moor, and this is very much more objective than previous written recordings, for instance, the so-called London Road where the Yorkists were supposed to have marched - this would have been completely unsuitable as a main thouroughfare due to a steep hill on it which would have made travel by wagon impractical - which is rather important for such an significant route.There are several other anomalies, here is a good analysis,http://www.oldtykes.co.uk/medbatt.htm#T ... 01461`Look toward the lower part of that web page and you'll see what I mean.

Scotteh2k8

Post by Scotteh2k8 »

Well all three of us decided to go back to the Lead chapel at around 9 at night to take some photos. There is definately a presence in there, not evil though. Well at least nothing felt evil. We captured Orbs, which are NOT dust particles or else they'd be all over the place. Possibly one of the most interesting photos taken was by my girlfriend vicky, who captured what looked to be a spectre outside the door, a capture she took a couple of seconds after showed what looked to be it isappearing.Photos attached

Scotteh2k8

Post by Scotteh2k8 »

Orbs 1
Attachments
__TFMF_3d1plr55l0qakj451v0agrv1_ed4e89bf-723b-4f12-b459-9bc79073e580_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3d1plr55l0qakj451v0agrv1_ed4e89bf-723b-4f12-b459-9bc79073e580_0_main.jpg (562.64 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

Scotteh2k8

Post by Scotteh2k8 »

Orbs 2
Attachments
__TFMF_3d1plr55l0qakj451v0agrv1_327234f0-81bf-4fe7-9ecb-104d0487f848_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_3d1plr55l0qakj451v0agrv1_327234f0-81bf-4fe7-9ecb-104d0487f848_0_main.jpg (484.75 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

Scotteh2k8

Post by Scotteh2k8 »

Orbs 3