Bedford Street, Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Ali Goby

Post by Ali Goby »

Hello folks, this is my first post on here...Can anyone tell me what the building was that is down Bedford Street in Leeds city centre, near the end and on the same side as Wetherspoons on the corner? I passed it today and immediately thought it was an old pub, but when I looked further there are three white arches, (both bearing the date 1854 – I think) above them, and the one in the middle has the sheep/ram being lifted/carried emblem.Any ideas?

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Hi Ali,Thanks for your post and welcome to SecretLeeds.This area is for questions to admin (munki and me) about the content of the website. I'll move this thread to Building and Structures in the main discussion area just now.Cheers,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Oh and pictures always help when asking questions like this - gets the SecretLeeds-ers grey cells working quicker Have fun!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Welcome Ali (salaam aleikum too!)(Sorry!).Can't tell you what the 'three arches' building isBut the 'Suspended sheep/ram' is merely asheepskin (pelt) and is part of Leeds' Coat of Arms.I seem to remember it denotes the woollen andclothing industries of this area.Hope that helps!

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Talking of the clothing industy (ere we go!).I can remember when joining up,my RAFgreatcoat had a manufacturer's label insidestating it was made by a firm called 'Poli(a?)koffof Leeds' I believe the factory was downNorth Street, or adjacent.The blue serge material ,I heard,was a surplus consignmentbought from the Russian Government and was originallymeant for the Imperial Guard before the 1917 Revolution.An Ideal colour for the new RAF which was formed from theamalgamation of the RFC/RE,and RNAS on April 1st 1918.The blue serge (very rough) was also used for our tunics,trousers and forage(side)caps. It was very warm and hardwearing but not much use in warm weather!I believe some of the Guard's Regiments still have greatcoatsof this material?Scots Guards?Since I was demobbed,they introduced super smoothlightweight Airforce blue barathea material for No1 Home Dressand slop about in denim camouflage outfits for everyday!And why not?

Si

Post by Si »

I believe all the Guards Regiments wear a grey greatcoat, Arry, but I didn't know it was the same colour as RAF blue.

Ali Goby

Post by Ali Goby »

Here is a couple of pictures....It's 5 arches and not 3 as I previously stated...

Ali Goby

Post by Ali Goby »

Well, you can see what I mean anyway...

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Unless someone on here knows, it might be worth looking in the Central Library at the old business directories. It is bound to mention it there....

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Now then - nice pics Ali, inspiring me to a bit of research...A quick look at this little document reveals a few relevant businesses operating from Bedford Street in 1837:Bevington Jas. B. woolstplr. 7 Bedford street Cockroft Hy. Cloth mercht, 3 Bedford street, h 4 St James' place Hargreave & Nusseys, woollen cloth merchts & mfrs, 7 Bedford street A "woolstplr." I assume to mean a woolstapler, "A woolstapler being the middleman between the farmers and the manufacturers", according to this documentSo... any idea which number Bedford Street the building in question might be? And any signs of a date carved on it anywhere?dsco