EMPIRE THEATRE IN BRIGGATE

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Many Leeds "Loiners" like me will still weep at the memory of the public destruction of this wonderful theatre after its closure. The magnificent frontage was torn out completely into Briggate, from where the sad remains of the glorious interior could be seen by everyone. The only entertainment now on that site can be had by sauntering around Harvey Nichols and enjoying viewing the prices !!Take a nostalgic trip back in time though, and have a look in the little cross arcade opposite the old Mecca - at the small back door to Harvey Nichols. Just look up a little at the preserved red brickwork of the beautiful 1900 development and there, embossed in the bricks, you can still see those magic words "EMPIRE PALACE."The Empire was one of a chain of fabulous variety theatres nationwide which were calledl "Moss's Empires."
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

Hi Blakey, I'm sure you've seen this site before, but it has some interesting stuff about the Empire and other theatres in Leeds.http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Leeds.htm.    

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

BLAKEY wrote: Many Leeds "Loiners" like me will still weep at the memory of the public destruction of this wonderful theatre after its closure. The magnificent frontage was torn out completely into Briggate, from where the sad remains of the glorious interior could be seen by everyone. The only entertainment now on that site can be had by sauntering around Harvey Nichols and enjoying viewing the prices !!Take a nostalgic trip back in time though, and have a look in the little cross arcade opposite the old Mecca - at the small back door to Harvey Nichols. Just look up a little at the preserved red brickwork of the beautiful 1900 development and there, embossed in the bricks, you can still see those magic words "EMPIRE PALACE."The Empire was one of a chain of fabulous variety theatres nationwide which were calledl "Moss's Empires." breakfast in Harvey Nicks on a saturday morning is great.my memories of the empire are being taken to the pantoomime as a kid, invariably starring Ronnie Hilton, nat jackley and our Eli.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

edgey2001 wrote: Hi Blakey, I'm sure you've seen this site before, but it has some interesting stuff about the Empire and other theatres in Leeds.http://www.arthurlloyd.co.uk/Leeds.htm.     Many thanks indeed for that prompt, as I had not seen the site before and it brings back many happy memories !!    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

edgey2001

Post by edgey2001 »

Its strange that thers no mention of the old Theatre Royal on that site either. The only things I can find are a few pics on Leodis.org.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

edgey2001 wrote: Its strange that thers no mention of the old Theatre Royal on that site either. The only things I can find are a few pics on Leodis.org. Strange indeed - the Theatre Royal was a fabulous place - Francis Laidler's famous pantomimes, with those courageous girls of the Flying Ballet soaring out over the audience and dropping flowers - and Harry Hanson's Court Players for repertory. We're very lucky to have enjoyed those wonderful times.