Empty Property Rate Relief

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Si

Post by Si »

Will the government's proposed changes to Empty Property Rate Relief (ie rate increases on empty properties) mean an increase in unused buildings in Leeds (possibly of historical/architectural interest) being deliberately made unratable/demolished?

Bunk3r

Post by Bunk3r »

or it could mean that people dont leave old buildings doing nothing, but knock them down for their land value and to avoid paying rates in the meantime.

Si

Post by Si »

Yep. More "mysterious fires....."

munki

Post by munki »

Or, without wanting to sound hopelessly naieve & unfashionably uncynical... it might mean that people are encouraged to make better use of buildings that are currently standing empty!Am I living in a dream world?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Si

Post by Si »

No, Munki. That would be preferable, obviously. It depends on financial priorities. But, as we seem to be talking ourselves into a recession...

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

munki wrote: Or, without wanting to sound hopelessly naieve & unfashionably uncynical... it might mean that people are encouraged to make better use of buildings that are currently standing empty!Am I living in a dream world? The potential high return from renovating and bringing back into use the many listed properties in our City's inventory and which are rapidly falling to ruin doesn't sem to inspire much action munki, so I doubt an increased rates bill will.

Si

Post by Si »

The opposite, I'm afraid, Chameleon.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Si wrote: The opposite, I'm afraid, Chameleon. Sceptical perhaps, but we'll wait and see.