Armley abattoir?

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
chomic

Post by chomic »

A friend of mine reckons there was an abattoir in Armley another friend says not. Having not grown up in Armley I haven't a clue either way but I'm sure someone on this site will know.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

chomic wrote: A friend of mine reckons there was an abattoir in Armley another friend says not. Having not grown up in Armley I haven't a clue either way but I'm sure someone on this site will know. been on leodis site,found hunslet and yeadon,but alas,no armley.try using the word slaughterhouse on your search.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Si

Post by Si »

Simonm should know.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi chomic,The area around the City Centre end of Leeds 12 has always been a bit confusing in so much as part of it is/was Armley and part of it is/was Wortley, Upper Wortley and Lower Wortley. In the mid 1960's, I worked around this area and I remember a cattle market at the bottom of Gelderd Road. It was near to the part where Whitehall Road and Gelderd Road were just a few yards apart and a one way system was in place which created a kind of 'island'. There were two pubs there, one was called the Cattle Market Hotel and the other was the Smyths Arms. There may have been a third pub but I can't remember.I found this photograph on Leodis which mentions the cattle market and in the notes there is a reference to an abattoir:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... _98926944I wondered if this was the abattoir which you were enquiring about. I suppose that some people would say that it is not in Armley but in Wortley but it is not very far away.Ian.    

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Ian - some time ago there was some discussion about the old cattle market - and a whole thread devoted to it that you might find of interest.http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... tMessage=0
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

drapesy wrote: Ian - some time ago there was some discussion about the old cattle market - and a whole thread devoted to it that you might find of interest.http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... tMessage=0 Hi drapesy,Thanks.Ian.

chomic

Post by chomic »

I spoke to her (the person who remembers the abattoir) last night and she says it was here...(see map if it works!!) My other friend maintains there was never such a business at this site. If he is correct, has she made the whole thing up (!) or what did she believe, as a child was a slsughterhouse. From her age I guess we're talking 1970 - 1980s.
Attachments
__TFMF_rkj3gxmn3z0hoj55zrznler5_b69d9f36-e773-4915-8b4f-83960d04c6ba_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_rkj3gxmn3z0hoj55zrznler5_b69d9f36-e773-4915-8b4f-83960d04c6ba_0_main.jpg (236.63 KiB) Viewed 3333 times

chomic

Post by chomic »

P.s. double click map for better view.

simonm

Post by simonm »

The red circled area, I have never known to be an abattoir! The red circle extends into the field, which has been unoccupied since the very early 70's, when I remember a scrap yard at that end, long before the leisure centre was built. Also, pre the srcap yard it was houses, which can be found readily on Leodis. The buildings in the circled bit, may have a connection to a butchers, wholesale butchers that joint the meat for transportation to shops etc, but an abattior? I really doubt it. I had a house on the Ceders and lots of people I have spoken to, who have lived there years, don't know owt about it. It it were ever an abattoir, then it must have been a very very long time ago!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

chomic

Post by chomic »

Does anyone know what those buildings were used for in the 70s? Maybe the butchery thing is closer to the mark.