The building by the bus way on Scott Hall Road near the Potternewton Lane roundabout.

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

The building by the bus way on Scott Hall Road near the Potternewton Lane roundabout.

Post by Leodian »

There is a building by the guided bus way off Scott Hall Road a little before the Potternewton Lane roundabout that has a clock in a nice small white tower above the roof. Passing by today I noticed that the building seems to have closed as there seemed to be no sign it is in use. I wonder if anyone knows what has happened (assuming it has closed) and if there are development plans? Though I often pass the building I've never known what it was for.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re: The building by the bus way on Scott Hall Road near the Potternewton Lane roundabout.

Post by Leodian »

Thanks for that Chappers :). That will be the entrance/exit to the centre, which I've not seen before.

This is a view from Scott Hall Road that I've just taken from Google Street View. The nice small clock tower shows well (I'm not sure but I think the clock has not worked for ages!).
A Google Street View of Potternewton Centre by the guided bus way on Scott Hall Road.
A Google Street View of Potternewton Centre by the guided bus way on Scott Hall Road.
Potternewton Centre.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 2979 times

hyperioncantlogin

Re: The building by the bus way on Scott Hall Road near the Potternewton Lane roundabout.

Post by hyperioncantlogin »

Leeds social services,Potternewton fulfilling lives centre.Day centre for people with physical disabilities and leaning difficulties.In early years the site including the day nursery next door had rhubarb forcing sheds.The entrance to the site (dropped kerb) can still be seen,just below the crossing. I seem to remember a lot of gardens on the Miles hill's/Potternewtons had a root or two of rhubarb.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

hyperioncantlogin wrote:Leeds social services,Potternewton fulfilling lives centre.Day centre for people with physical disabilities and leaning difficulties.In early years the site including the day nursery next door had rhubarb forcing sheds.The entrance to the site (dropped kerb) can still be seen,just below the crossing. I seem to remember a lot of gardens on the Miles hill's/Potternewtons had a root or two of rhubarb.
Thanks for that information hyperion :).

Ah the growing of rhubarb (tusky) in a garden, which I recall was never really that good probably because it was not forced indoors that commercially grown rhubarb is.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

I was brought up in Potternewton. My granddad used to force his rhubarb in an overturned washing tub; he called it a 'peggey tub', made from corrugated metal.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote:I was brought up in Potternewton. My granddad used to force his rhubarb in an overturned washing tub; he called it a 'peggey tub', made from corrugated metal.
Thanks for that Loiner in Cyprus. Your mention of the use of overturned washing tubs does sound familiar.

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

The building is currently being refurbed I believe, after which it will continue in its current use. It's currently owned by the council but a lot of their adult social care functions are being handed over to a CIC (Community Interest Company).

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

mark1978 wrote:The building is currently being refurbed I believe, after which it will continue in its current use. It's currently owned by the council but a lot of their adult social care functions are being handed over to a CIC (Community Interest Company).
Thanks for that update mark1978. :)