Forum:  Buildings and structures

Thread:  Ugliest/worst building in Leeds

carrotol (User)   Posted on: 10-Feb-2008 21:59:43.
Myself and Chamusdarrach thought bout this thread at the same time. So here goes. I think The Evening Post building is one of the ugliest. Partly because of where it's situated, it's so noticable. Then theres nearly every major car dealers buildings. Im sure theres a way to put lots of glass around the bottom of the buildings without making rest of it look like its been completed on blue Peter.
Over to you chamus
Trojan (User)   Posted on: 10-Feb-2008 22:06:34.
Well assuming Morley counts as Leeds - as I said this morning - Central Methodist Hall on Wesley Street is pretty ugly. It's also poorly built, very user unfriendly, dark, cold and therefore expensive to heat. The vestibule /lobby smells of the toilets which are adjacent. It was designed by an expensive architect, the church which already owned the land it occupies, and who had sold the prime Queen Street site of their former hall to Tescos, still needed to appeal to pay for it. It's a typical sixties monstrosity IMO. The Yorkshire Post Building is certainly ugly and it's bigger, but given the scale I would say my nomination is uglier!

carrotol (User)   Posted on: 10-Feb-2008 22:16:01.
Can you post a picture Trojan? If people can put pics on of buildings that aren't well known to all, maybe we can vote on their ugliness : )
Trojan (User)   Posted on: 10-Feb-2008 22:22:15.
Tell me how and I'll do it. I've tried to get pix on here before and failed. This is Morley Central Methodist Hall

kierentc (User)   Posted on: 10-Feb-2008 22:23:41.
the merrion centre is pretty hideous. however from reading all the posts here about it, i've developed a bit of a fondness for it, lol

however it it a fabulous idea in principle. just ugly
carrotol (User)   Posted on: 10-Feb-2008 22:26:06.
I think I went to post a message then just clicked on attachment. Then browse, pictures etc. I think I had to click on post twice before it actually posted.
Then again you may need to ask one of the experts on here because when I read that back to myself it sounded like drivel.

chamusdarrach (User)   Posted on: 10-Feb-2008 23:45:17.
Purely for personnal reasons, I have to nominate the Clarendon Wing at Leeds General Infirmary, not only is it a horrible, faceless concrete monstrosity, both inside and out, but having spent 40 hours there last Sept when our Little baby boy was born and died, I would like to see it razed to the ground - memories.
Otherwise, yep, it has to be the Yorkshire Post building, Does Leeds deserve such an eyesore at one of its major gateways???
chamusdarrach (User)   Posted on: 10-Feb-2008 23:53:10.
oops, forgot about that derelict eyesore at the junction of the Ring Road and Geldard road, the old abandoned car dealer and Wallace Arnold coach terminal, which is an absolute disgrace, unless there has been some strange planning law passed in Leeds that decrees that every main road into Leeds MUST have an eysore on it that only serves to embarass Leeds??

spongebob (User)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 00:17:02.
Jeez where do you start?
Agreed about the evening post for a kick off, the old royal mail building was almost as bad too (only marginally better now). It's nice that they're gradually removing the 60's eyesores from the area. Good to see that the a big part of the Aireside centre was so brutally (and quickly) destroyed last week too.

Structurewise can I nominate the gas holders dotted around and about, especially the ones by the gyratory, come on I know they've been up and down like a whores drawers recently but could they change the water used to seal the gas in and clean the rusty tidemarks off, with the profits grittish bass are extorting from customers they could probably afford to keep them spotless.

Not only the roads into town that are blighted by eyesores, most of the railway routes into the city are too what with the tip that was Copley Hill and various graffiti daubed walls. Not bad to think it's only a few years since the station won an award for its presentation.
Si (Administrator)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 08:37:11.
I think the ugliest building in Leeds was the Norwich Union Building in City Square, now thankfully demolished and replaced by No. 1 City Square. Now that was an eyesore, and the first building to be seen by visitors exiting the station!

FarnleyBloke (User)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 10:46:59.
The office block above the Merrion Centre needs to come down, what a state it's in, absolutely horrible.
Also agree with YEP building.
And also a (dis)honourable mention to Bramley Shopping Centre for being a disgrace.
Reginal Perrin (User)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 11:03:18.
I think most orange brick 80's buildings are starting to look horribly dated. The court house next tot he town hall. Huge diamond mosaic designs in the brick, uergh.
The Bank of England is pretty ghastly but is probably though of a s adesign classic because it is well built.

Strangely enough I actually quite like the merrion Centre and is one 60's example should be kept it is this one as they look after it extremely well. They could develop the back though.

Chrism (Administrator)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 15:23:10.
The YP/YEP building is absolutely flipping hiddeous, I have always hated this building it's a big concrete karbunkle.
munki (Administrator)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 15:58:44.
I always hated City House, the one that is built over the station, & dominates the south side of City Square.

Si (Administrator)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 16:14:02.
[quotenick="Reginal Perrin"]I think most orange brick 80's buildings are starting to look horribly dated. The court house next tot he town hall. Huge diamond mosaic designs in the brick, uergh.

That court building looks like something out of Enid Blyton's "Noddy" books.

dsco (Administrator)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 16:19:19.
I'm going to put in a word of support for the YPN building, seeing as it's getting roundly slated here. I actually think it's quite a good example of brutalist concrete architecture. Now that all the advertising banners have been taken off it, it looks modern and strangely stylish - especially at night with the lights on.

dsco

FarnleyBloke (User)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 16:43:27.
dsco wrote:
I'm going to put in a word of support for the YPN building, seeing as it's getting roundly slated here. I actually think it's quite a good example of brutalist concrete architecture. Now that all the advertising banners have been taken off it, it looks modern and strangely stylish - especially at night with the lights on.

dsco

I think with the lights off and a blindfold on it looks fantastic! Wink
PeteFM (User)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 17:00:02.
I'd go with Leeds Shopping Plaza being the ugliest building in Leeds *shudders*

cnosni (Administrator)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 18:08:32.
PeteFM wrote:
I'd go with Leeds Shopping Plaza being the ugliest building in Leeds *shudders*

Certainly is [edited for content].

the view as you come down out of the Station towards Albion Street is a hideous ad is an extreme embarrasment to the image of Leeds.

Just think,all these visitors we are attracting, who arrive on the train and walk into town.

They see th horrible escalator,and then as they reach Boar Lane they can see that awful bus stand (despite recent refurb) and behind the escalator thge dank dark lower end of Albion Street that is The Leeds shopping plaza.

Thank god its getting done over,i only hope that the escalator and the crappy little white flower shop go for good.
wiggy (User)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 18:23:27.
FAIRFAX HOUSE...UGLY THING!

stevief (User)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 20:58:24.
I would nominate most of the apartment buildings which are starting to dominate the skyline of the city.The ones on Burley Road look as though they've been coated in tin-foil.
Bramley4woods (User)   Posted on: 11-Feb-2008 22:01:32.
stevief wrote:
I would nominate most of the apartment buildings which are starting to dominate the skyline of the city.The ones on Burley Road look as though they've been coated in tin-foil.

Ditto the multi coloured cheap hotel block on the end of Crown Point Bridge.

The Times / Sunday Times nominated the last Norwich Union Building as one of the most ugly buildings in the land because it had a facade of coloured panels!

Steve Jones (User)   Posted on: 12-Feb-2008 10:18:53.
i am surprised no one has nominated "The kremlin" a.k.a Quarry House. hideous.
FarnleyBloke (User)   Posted on: 12-Feb-2008 10:49:59.
munki wrote:
I always hated City House, the one that is built over the station, & dominates the south side of City Square.

I walked down Park row yesterday and had a good look at it Munki. You're right, it draws the eye away from the great queens Hotel, old Yorkshire Banking Company (now Flares) and the Hotel recently metal cladded on the corner. it would be a great view if it was demolished.

dsco (Administrator)   Posted on: 13-Feb-2008 00:10:31.
Aye well, each to their own I suppose Farnley Wink

Might as well add at this point that I love the Kremlin. And I quite like the Dalek too. And I also have a soft spot for the swimming pool in some strange way...

Laugh

But you're bob on with that building next to the station Munki. Eez nasty.

dsco
Mork of Ork (User)   Posted on: 13-Feb-2008 10:55:18.
I like the Kremlin too, reminds me of something out of a 40's sci fi film.

I agree about Bramley Shopping centre especially as they knocked down all the old shops etc on Bramley Town Street and replaced them with that thing!

Bramley4woods (User)   Posted on: 13-Feb-2008 11:49:55.
Mork of Ork wrote:

I agree about Bramley Shopping centre especially as they knocked down all the old shops etc on Bramley Town Street and replaced them with that thing!

Picture here courtesy of Leodis of the shops at the top of Waterloo Lane. I used to go to the Barber's Shop which was run ny a Mr Orange. The frieze over the shop front was lettered with his name.

I was waiting in there Ca. 1960 when he was talking to the customer in the chair about the re-development ... "They say it might not be for another ten years".

I see on the photo Mr Orange's name is not shown. so either it was taken before he started, or more likely he didn't make it until it was re-developed.

The row of stout bricks at the right hand edge is, I think, the back corner of the Yorkshire Penny bank. Whilst the big banks (& chapels) were stoutly constructed as can be seen the smaller shops were a bit more ramshackle and less amenable to preservation.
raveydavey (User)   Posted on: 13-Feb-2008 20:56:52.
I think the Kremlin is one of the best buildings in Leeds - it's up there with the Town Hall!

One of the worst has to be the appalling Magistrates Courts - what a total mess that place looks.

Trojan (User)   Posted on: 13-Feb-2008 21:18:33.
raveydavey wrote:
I think the Kremlin is one of the best buildings in Leeds - it's up there with the Town Hall!

One of the worst has to be the appalling Magistrates Courts - what a total mess that place looks.

I like the Kremlin. I think it's a brilliant building. It certainly gives a better impression of the city for those coming down York Road into Leeds than other "gateway" buildings referred to earlier.
chameleon (Administrator)   Posted on: 13-Feb-2008 22:56:31.
munki wrote:

Always looks like a Poulson generic - here's one I built earlier' jobs to me, and prety dire inside too the last time I was there!

buffaloskinner (User)   Posted on: 15-Feb-2008 22:32:11.
Its just plain UGLY, and my granddaughter thinks so as well
drapesy (User)   Posted on: 15-Feb-2008 22:46:33.
Chrism wrote:
The YP/YEP building is absolutely flipping hiddeous, I have always hated this building it's a big concrete karbunkle.

Ironically this building was officially opened by Prince Charles!! (there's a foundation stone/plaque inside commemorating the event)

chamusdarrach (User)   Posted on: 15-Feb-2008 22:58:11.
Have to admit, I do like the Kremlin, at least with this building a bit of architectural style has taken place, how would it have looked if it was all glass, or even worse, mainly concrete?
But isn't modern architecture all about provoking a debate between like / dislike??
Trojan (User)   Posted on: 16-Feb-2008 14:23:57.
Trojan wrote:
Tell me how and I'll do it. I've tried to get pix on here before and failed. This is Morley Central Methodist Hall

You can now see the picture on my previous post    

carrotol (User)   Posted on: 16-Feb-2008 19:52:46.
Sorry I haven't been on here since I started this but I'm pleased to see alot of people in agreement about the EP building. However, now I've seen Trojans church I have to agree that it is truly hideous. Is it really breeze block or have they just given it a nice breeze block effect. And isn't that a stone building that it's joined onto. How dare they?
Got to say, I like the dalek too but it looks better from some angles than others. For instance, not too close up and sideways on. Plus there's the fact that we are dead clever in Leeds and have a biiiiiiiiig building
cnosni (Administrator)   Posted on: 16-Feb-2008 20:10:49.
munki wrote:

City house is now closed,it is being ripped out and reclad.

two seperate rumours as to what is happening,one is that it will be still offices,the other that it will be another hotel.

whatever it is lets hope they make the bl**dy thing look a damn site better than what it does now,which is a tall version of the old science block at Cross Green School.    

cnosni (Administrator)   Posted on: 16-Feb-2008 20:16:19.
Trojan wrote:
Trojan wrote:

You can now see the picture on my previous post    

Ouch,thats so ugly it hurts my eyes.
Trojan (User)   Posted on: 16-Feb-2008 21:06:44.
carrotol wrote:
now I've seen Trojans church I have to agree that it is truly hideous. Is it really breeze block or have they just given it a nice breeze block effect. And isn't that a stone building that it's joined onto. How dare they?

The building is the church hall, the stone building is the church, an Italian style mid nineteenth century Methodist Chapel - not an exceptional building compared to some others - but it didn't deserve that!    

raveydavey (User)   Posted on: 17-Feb-2008 16:14:20.
Can I nominate most of the toytown apartment blocks that have been thrown up around the city centre over the last 5 years or so?

Some have merit, others are just 60's towerblocks with colourful or swoopy bits added on. Goodness knows what they will look like in 10 years, or what future generations will make of those who gave them planning permission.

I'm not overly keen on the St Johns Centre either - a building that is entirely without merit.
cnosni (Administrator)   Posted on: 17-Feb-2008 17:26:10.
raveydavey wrote:
Can I nominate most of the toytown apartment blocks that have been thrown up around the city centre over the last 5 years or so?

Some have merit, others are just 60's towerblocks with colourful or swoopy bits added on. Goodness knows what they will look like in 10 years, or what future generations will make of those who gave them planning permission.

I'm not overly keen on the St Johns Centre either - a building that is entirely without merit.

The st Johns centre actually provides a great service to the residents of Leeds,something that is worth far more than its architectural merit.

It keeps the rain off when walking from the Merrion centre to the Headrow!!!Other than that its pants.

The area would have made a great open space,a bit like Millenium square.

Steve Jones (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 13:44:39.
The hideous blue coloured apartments that have been put up next to the Etap Hotel look set to be an eyesore for future years!
lister (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 15:25:52.
I nominate....

1 Mill Street,
Leeds,
LS9 8NA

No idea what the planners were thinking with this beauty!

Brandy (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 15:56:38.
lister wrote:
I nominate....

1 Mill Street,
Leeds,
LS9 8NA

AND I SECOND THAT!!!

HIDEOUS IS TOO KIND A WORD FOR THIS BLOT ON THE LANDSCAPE!
tyke bhoy (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 16:07:48.
lister wrote:
I nominate....

1 Mill Street,
Leeds,
LS9 8NA

Planned with lego bricks I think Wink

lister (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 16:17:28.
Glad I have had some agreement, I was talking about this with a workmate not long since and he loves it..... his words were 'modern art meets modern architecture"

If thats the case you can keep both of them for me!
Steve Jones (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 19:21:31.
I agre with Lister, hideous!
the building I referred to earlier in the thread is on the other side of the Etap hotel from Lister's picture and paintied a fetching shade of " blue green retch"

raveydavey (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 20:18:43.
It's amazing how many of these disliked buidlings are either specifically designed as student accomodation, or have become largely occupied by students because no-one else seems to want to live there...."City Island" (the new flats behind the YEP being a prime example. Built as mixed residential, but now mainly buy to let with students being the only sizeable market at the moment.

The new student accomodation blocks (tallest student accomodation in Europe!) going up alongside the Inner Ring Road look set to join them in the ugly stakes...
Trojan (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 20:22:34.
lister wrote:
I nominate....

1 Mill Street,
Leeds,
LS9 8NA

Yes that is pretty dire. Who the hell sanctioned the building of something as bizarrely ugly as that!

carrotol (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 21:08:18.
I wonder if the students admit that they live there?
Maybe they think it's 'cool'
tyke bhoy (User)   Posted on: 18-Feb-2008 21:24:42.
raveydavey wrote:

The new student accomodation blocks (tallest student accomodation in Europe!) going up alongside the Inner Ring Road look set to join them in the ugly stakes...
If it (the plaza) sticks to the latest render I have seen here http://www.leeds-cityscape.co.uk/The_Plaza.htm it won't be too bad but this is toned down from previous versions I have seen

jf (User)   Posted on: 19-Feb-2008 12:47:28.
I quite like the evening post building. It's a bit scruffy, and the setting isn't very good, but the shape itself is interesting. The old clock looked better, from memory.

I'd put it way above a lot of the mediocre rubbish we have such as crown point retail centre (and similar retail sheds) or the exceptionally tedious 3-storey blocks of flats that are squeezed on to any spare bit of land in the suburbs (often at the expense of ornate pubs, and usually out of scale and context with any existing development). Anything in the city centre is immeasurably better.
Brandy (User)   Posted on: 23-Feb-2008 15:59:14.
buffaloskinner wrote:
Its just plain UGLY, and my granddaughter thinks so as well

GOING UP^

wiggy (User)   Posted on: 24-Feb-2008 18:19:48.
some wonderful thatched cottages,and other nice houses were swept away to build the 'BEAUTIFUL' crossgates arndale lump.
FoxyLady (User)   Posted on: 06-Mar-2008 22:14:12.
lister wrote:
I nominate....

1 Mill Street,
Leeds,
LS9 8NA

I was going to agree that Bramley Shopping Centre was the worst until I saw this monstrosity, it's bloody hideous!!

chameleon (Administrator)   Posted on: 06-Mar-2008 22:32:06.
wiggy wrote:
some wonderful thatched cottages,and other nice houses were swept away to build the 'BEAUTIFUL' crossgates arndale lump.

Most of the buildings in that area had been declared 'insanitary' though wiggy, but I do remember walking down Station Road past them, the surgery of the infamous dentist was in one of them and always seemed to have red roses growing round the doorway.
LS1 (User)   Posted on: 07-Mar-2008 08:02:39.
lister wrote:
I nominate....

1 Mill Street,
Leeds,
LS9 8NA

Is that it then, just finished like that?

fevlad (User)   Posted on: 07-Mar-2008 08:16:24.
Burtons at the top of briggate looks like a world war 2 pillbox ugly in itself and out of context with its surroundings

lawnswood school looks like a nuclear power station

any fe college you care to name

the north stand at headingley-ugly and not fit for purpose

Shaftsbury house Beeston

boar lane from BHS as you walk underneath that overhang past greggs, the cornish pasty shop and the birdcage is depressing and smells
Mork of Ork (User)   Posted on: 07-Mar-2008 10:50:37.
I like the Burton's building, the design really appeals to me for some reason.

fevlad (User)   Posted on: 07-Mar-2008 11:13:32.
Mork of Ork wrote:

I like the Kremlin as well
I always expect there to be a flash of lightning emanation from that thing on top.
Si (Administrator)   Posted on: 07-Mar-2008 12:06:13.
fevlad wrote:
Mork of Ork wrote:

I always expect there to be a flash of lightning emanation from that thing on top.

...or Flash Gordon's space ship about to dock. (I remember that even though it was in space, the smoke from the engine went up, and the sparks down!)

fevlad (User)   Posted on: 08-Mar-2008 09:24:32.
Si wrote:
fevlad wrote:
Mork of Ork wrote:

...or Flash Gordon's space ship about to dock. (I remember that even though it was in space, the smoke from the engine went up, and the sparks down!)

I loved those sliding doors.

Incidentally in the 1980s remake one of the hawk men -the one with the broken nose, was played by Ted carrol who used to play for hunslet.
fevlad (User)   Posted on: 08-Mar-2008 09:54:37.
Elland road soccer ground is pretty vile

Mork of Ork (User)   Posted on: 10-Mar-2008 11:01:39.
Elland road's east stand was the largest cantilever stand in Europe at one point. The rest of it is a bloody dive though.
tyke bhoy (User)   Posted on: 10-Mar-2008 11:09:52.
Mork of Ork wrote:
Elland road's east stand was the largest cantilever stand in Europe at one point. The rest of it is a bloody dive though.
and the East Stand draws attention to that dive from a vast swathe of South and West Leeds

fevlad (User)   Posted on: 10-Mar-2008 11:32:11.
Mork of Ork wrote:

nevertheless that stand is bloody ugly, trhe rest is just a slum.
stodge. (User)   Posted on: 10-Mar-2008 12:52:45.
I can't belive nobody's mentioned Cottingley Towers and Heights.
They've got to be the coldest, life less most imposing buildings about.
It doesn't bode well for visitors to leeds if thats the first building to greet them coming down the M621.
The less said about Cottingley Precinct the better. It was a dump when I left in 84, and it's got worse every year since, whats with the pyramids ?

zscort (User)   Posted on: 10-Mar-2008 20:53:06.
Quote:
Then theres nearly every major car dealers buildings. Im sure theres a way to put lots of glass around the bottom of the buildings without making rest of it look like its been completed on blue Peter.

Couldn't agree more, it was a tragic loss when they knocked down the beautiful building RingWays Ford had and replaced it with that greenhouse monstrosity. They look like conservatories on steroids!
peterg (User)   Posted on: 10-Mar-2008 22:10:46.
Not much to do with ugly buildings, but I seem to remember that Ted Carrol was one of my father's workmates at the Post Office (Telephones)

Bramley4woods (User)   Posted on: 10-Mar-2008 23:08:08.
fevlad wrote:
Burtons at the top of briggate looks like a world war 2 pillbox ugly in itself and out of context with its surroundings

lawnswood school looks like a nuclear power station

any fe college you care to name

the north stand at headingley-ugly and not fit for purpose

Shaftsbury house Beeston

<Bit snipped>

Seen what is to become of Shaftesbury House?

http://www.greenhouseleeds.co.uk

The original was not as bad as people imagine, a friend working for the Council had a peek around and said it was quite expensively appointed inside, and was not intended to be a doss house, more along the lines of cheap accommodation for workmen visiting the city.

As regards the new format "I hae ma doots". The windmills on the roof for instance will get virtually no wind. The air in contact with the building is stationary and it takes about 20 metres clearance to get the full benefit of the wind. Just more "Green Marketing" in my view. Not forgetting the subsidies and the tax free "Zero Carbon" status.

Lets just see ...
KingElvis (User)   Posted on: 14-Mar-2008 09:05:47.
Just out of interest, I have some pictures here that I took inside the now stripped Shaftesbury House.

I think it's a good looking building.

http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20/tmole99/shaftsbury/

BLAKEY (User)   Posted on: 25-Mar-2008 08:32:30.
For me it just HAS to be the ghastly but much trumpetted BRIDGEWATER PLACE at the end of Water Lane.    Talk about repeat all the mistakes of the 1960s !! The main curved front building itself would have stood a chance if it had been completed - I'm being sarcastic there admittedly but those three "gaps" at various levels just look as if they are waiting for the arrival of some late supplies to finish the job. Then, it is joined onto by a totally characterless straight office block at the south end. I know these things are personal preference, but to add insult to injury the bloomin' thing has ruined the skyline from my sixth floor flat in Headingley as well !!
fevlad (User)   Posted on: 25-Mar-2008 09:08:55.
lister wrote:
I nominate....

1 Mill Street,
Leeds,
LS9 8NA

I quite like it,it's fun and fit for purpose.

I'm not keen on the original LGI building
forbidding edifice and a warren inside.

exiled in essex (User)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 08:52:09.
I am surprised no one has mentioned the former British Gas building on Bridge Street, situated at the side of the Inner Ring Road. Now I haven't been past there for a while, is it still standing or has it been knocked down? I worked in the 'tower block' wing of that building for several years and it was truly horrible both inside and out. For years it simply said 'GAS' at the top of it in 1960's style lettering but then they changed it to 'British Gas' and the 'flame' logo which was actually unreadable from the road. Not long after that, BG moved to new premises (and I left the company and county for that matter). Having said all that, I did much prefer working in the old Bridge Street office to the new place, we seemed to get away with so much more like having music on and things people take for granted like having a kettle in the office rather than having to buy drinks from rotten vending machines.

The YEP building will probably end up being Grade I listed as examples of this type of architecture are becoming rarer. That doesn't mean it's not ugly though.

I must admit I have always liked the Kremlin. I always drove into town from the A64 so saw it an awful lot and it grew on me.
players'n'woodbines (User)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 11:11:37.
BLAKEY wrote:
For me it just HAS to be the ghastly but much trumpetted BRIDGEWATER PLACE at the end of Water Lane.    Talk about repeat all the mistakes of the 1960s !! The main curved front building itself would have stood a chance if it had been completed - I'm being sarcastic there admittedly but those three "gaps" at various levels just look as if they are waiting for the arrival of some late supplies to finish the job. Then, it is joined onto by a totally characterless straight office block at the south end. I know these things are personal preference, but to add insult to injury the bloomin' thing has ruined the skyline from my sixth floor flat in Headingley as well !!

I totally agree, is Bridgewater the place that's being called the dalek now? You can see that thing from beyond the outskirts of leeds & the only building i can think of that's quite as nasty is the Kremlin, it's a red brick wall with windows in, doesn't even try to blend into the landscape & what the hell IS that thing on the roof? It's only saving grace is that it has a pub in the foyer, i'll have to go back & check but i'm almost certain it's name is The Woodpecker.

simonm (User)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 11:17:41.
For me, both Bridgewater place AND the Kremlin, show an imagination in some of the city's architects. Both stand out and get people talking about em.

Maj on here all lament the passing of Quarry hill flats complex, but I bet in it's inception people were bemoaning the passing of what went before and this "curved" monstrosity going up.

Look at London, the London Eye, gherkin, Lloyds building. All totally different from their surroundings, but make a massive aesthetic impact on the eye. My pet hate are these block buildings that all look the bloody same being thrown up all over the city! they are the slums of the 2020's imho. B/water place and the kremlin will still b standing out as the good examples of modern architecture, imho of course!!

exiled in essex (User)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 11:23:05.
I'm sure I saw something on the TV not so long since about Sir Norman Foster (who designed the Gherkin) being the architect of the building that is to replace the International Pool. He said it's going to be better than the Gherkin and have more of a visual impact. It did look very exciting.

Lots of people can't stand the Gherkin but every time I see it on a morning it makes me smile. I also have a view of the BT Tower from my office and that makes me smile too. Leeds needs iconic structures like these.

simonm (User)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 11:27:09.
Yes it does Essex. Leeds, for years has suffered the ignomy of being a boring place, architectually speaking. If the development of the modern slums would stop and have iconic buildings like the gherkin etc, were allowed to continue the old tag would be dropped faster than a barmaid kecks!

We need more immaginative architects, not sheep like we seem to have!

simonm (User)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 11:29:15.
Forgot to add. A lot of people bemaoned the prospect of the brick man, with it's observation deck atop of it. The chap who thought it up went on to build the Angel of the North, now a massive architectural landmark, talked about all over the country!

Why are the people of Leeds so fickle??    

exiled in essex (User)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 11:42:43.
I always thought it was such a shame that the Brick Man was never built. It would have been a fantastic gateway structure for the city.
cnosni (Administrator)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 12:12:43.
exiled in essex wrote:
I always thought it was such a shame that the Brick Man was never built. It would have been a fantastic gateway structure for the city.

What are the chances that we on here could get the necessary parties interested in raising the project up again?

That would be great,but possibly Gormley would think that he no longer needs such a work since the Angel of the North?

simonm (User)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 12:38:33.
Trouble is mate, it doesn't matter what a few peeps on here think about owt, you'd have to persuede the city to go for it. Waste of time imho!

Baggpuss (User)   Posted on: 01-Apr-2008 15:18:34.
At least the Kremlin, Bridgewater & even YEP building had some design effort put into them, even if you don't like the design.

City House and all the indentikit office boxes are just so lifeless and dull that I can't help but hate them. Plus must of them are hideous places to work and I've been in my fair share over the years.

Unfortunately I now work in probably the ugliest building in York, but that's a whole differnet site.