Statistics
37 users online
17422 users
104314 posts
Leodis Photographic Archive
R.A.F aerial photography over Leeds in 1951.
Help | Register | Login | Active Threads | Register

You are here: Home > Secret Leeds > Buildings and structures> R.A.F aerial photography over Leeds in 1951.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Buildings and structures
R.A.F aerial photography over Leeds in 1951.
Page:1/8 

Print all messages in this thread  
Poster Message
Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
21-Feb-2007 10:17:09
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 14:50:44.  

My flickr pictures are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 14:52:52.  

Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 15:07:12.  

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 15:17:09.  

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 15:17:46.  

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 15:19:03.  

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 15:19:37.  

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 15:19:54.  

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 15:21:06.  

Right...I've got all the photos uploaded now.
It wasn't the way I wanted to do it. I'd have preferred uploading them to Secret Leeds so you could click on the photo to view them full size. The S.L gremlins put paid to that unfortunately.

I'll try get some links working under the photos so you can see them full size in a bit.

I'll also add some information about the locations, and maps e.t.c as a work in progress.
It was quite a job sorting through all the photos and making some sense of it all at first.
But I think the fact they were going to be destroyed makes it worthwhile documenting them and saving them for posterity Regular Smiley

Leodian
User

Joined on:
10-Jun-2010 12:33:50
Posted:
4618 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 17:33:57.  

That is a fascinating set of photos Phill. Many thanks for taking what must have been a great time and effort uploading them. Glad they were saved from being destroyed.

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 17:46:04.  

Leodian wrote:
That is a fascinating set of photos Phill. Many thanks for taking what must have been a great time and effort uploading them. Glad they were saved from being destroyed.

My pleasure Leo Regular Smiley

It was a guy who used to work at the R.A.F who got in touch with me and asked if I wanted to make use of them.
He said he was a keen model railway builder and had been using various websites for info to build his layouts.
He said wherever I looked your name popped up. I thought if these photos can go to a good home I bet that lad would use them Regular Smiley

He said you would have cried if you saw what was destroyed in those archives, everything the R.A.F ever took apparently. Some stuff going back nearly a 100 years. It was decided to sort this huge archive out and anything over 50 years old was likely to be burnt. It was our job to sort through it all and see what needed saving.

They found the actual aerial reconnaissance photos of the Möhne and Edersee Dams taken prior to the Dambuster raids. Lots of historical stuff like that was saved and went to various archives.
They tried to give the stuff that was going to get incinerated to various universities, libraries, and archives.
But when they realised how much there was of it - they simply couldn't afford the transportation!

As far as I know these Leeds photos are the only images left from the 1951 R.A.F mapping of England.

I've also put one flight path of images together on a short video.
I haven't cropped those, I've left them the same ratio the R.A.F took them.
When viewed one after the other it gives you the illusion of flying over Leeds in the actual plane.

I'll add the link to it in a while when I've got my flickr stuff sorted.            

Johnny39
User

Joined on:
11-Jun-2007 20:24:19
Posted:
858 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 17:51:25.  

Well done Phil.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma? 
gbdlufc
User

Joined on:
23-Jun-2007 14:38:30
Posted:
80 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 18:01:15.  

Cheers Phil, much appreciated, thank you.
Garry

Cardiarms
User

Joined on:
21-Oct-2008 13:00:01
Posted:
2866 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 18:06:29.  

Fascinating stuff!

It's not uncommon, before I knew od Secret Leeds and the Leodis website, in one of our sheds I found a crate full of photos of leeds taken in the 60s for LWW. The photos were mainly of manhole covers, and excavations but had loads of street scenes and incidental detail in the background. They were destroyed.    

Steve Jones
User

Joined on:
18-Jan-2008 19:11:33
Posted:
1382 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 19:45:21.  

It is stuff like this that makes Secret Leeds such a valuable resource. The many and varied interests of members help keep stuff like this around instead of being carelessly destroyed.The old saying "One man's rubbish is another man's treasure" applies often.
Steve Jones
I don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

raveydavey
User

Joined on:
22-Mar-2007 20:29:07
Posted:
2821 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 19:46:17.  

By heck, no wonder you've been quiet for a while! Wink

A huge thanks for taking the trouble to get these images saved and posted online and for sharing them with us.

I've just spent the last 20 minutes poring over the EEP pics - another evening about to vanish Regular Smiley
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell  
tilly
User

Joined on:
11-Jan-2010 19:02:12
Posted:
1288 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 20:12:36.  

Many thanks Phil your a star.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways. 
Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 20:35:00.  

Thanks everyone, glad you like them so far.
I've got as far as adding links to the full size photos on probably half the photos.

I want to add some info and maps in time.
Make it an interesting thread. I'll send the link to Leodis and other websites if they want to use them when it's done.

But it's slow work, Secret Leeds is extremely hard to do anything like this.
Having to embed photos from hosting sites, manually create links e.t.c.
It's like using Windows 95 Shocked

But I'll get there, eventually Regular Smiley

Loiner in Cyprus
User

Joined on:
08-Nov-2007 19:34:43
Posted:
184 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 20:40:01.  

What a fascinating set of photos. Thanks Phil for sharing them. Ironically, I remember more of Leeds from those photos than more up to date ones.    

Leodian
User

Joined on:
10-Jun-2010 12:33:50
Posted:
4618 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 21:15:00.  

Purely as an aside to this superb thread I wonder what aerial photographs of Leeds may still exist that were very likely to have been taken from the German airship 'Hindenburg' that flew over Leeds in 1936 (before my time, honest Tongue).

liits
User

Joined on:
25-Mar-2007 15:54:49
Posted:
992 posts
# Posted on: 03-Oct-2013 21:55:09.  

Great Job, well done!
I'd never realised that there were so many prefab houses in Leeds.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/liits/
"Given enough time, a monkey - typing at random - would, as part of its output, almost surely produce all of Shakespeare’s plays". Well, the internet has pretty much debunked that myth.

mhoulden
User

Joined on:
28-Nov-2009 00:30:17
Posted:
251 posts
# Posted on: 04-Oct-2013 03:40:32.  

Interesting stuff there, especially along Kirkstall Road and York Road. Leodis has lots of photos of houses taken just before they were torn down for slum clearances, but there aren't many photos taken halfway through, like the alphabet streets between Burley Road and Kirkstall Rd on flight line 5. It's also interesting seeing Kirkstall power station and the rows of houses on the site of what's now Cardigan Fields. Again, Leodis has a fair few street level photos but there aren't many aerial views that give it some sort of context of just how many there were. Holbeck is pretty unrecognisable because it's changed so many times and it'll be interesting sitting down with Old Maps to see how it compares.

yorkiesknob
User

Joined on:
19-Dec-2009 23:15:13
Posted:
265 posts
# Posted on: 04-Oct-2013 05:04:45.  

Great Stuff Phil, as a ex surveyor who use to do ground control for map making from aerial photos I found these of great interest. Going to re post a couple of photos on the Burley Road group on facebook if you don't mind. Thanks again Tony
Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle. 
Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 04-Oct-2013 06:03:03.  

Glad you find them of interest fellas Regular Smiley

Yes by all means use what you like Tony. That's why I put them on the internet.

Some of the photos are hard to recocgnise with all the changes to the areas over the years yes.
I particularly found this York Road photo confusing at first, If it wasn't for the unmistakable Star Cinema on Glenthorpe Crescent.

York Road doesn't exist as we know it today, a big space of grassland where the Torre's now stand.
The background looking pretty rural indeed.

I'm glad I've got them in flight order to scroll down, It's much easier to work out a few of the places I'm unsure about at the far parts of Armley and over Farnley. You can pretty much pin point the locations you know and find the exact line the plane flew this way. It's just a quick check on Google earth and old maps to verify then.            

Cardiarms
User

Joined on:
21-Oct-2008 13:00:01
Posted:
2866 posts
# Posted on: 04-Oct-2013 07:51:16.  

mhoulden wrote:
Interesting stuff there, especially along Kirkstall Road and York Road. Leodis has lots of photos of houses taken just before they were torn down for slum clearances, but there aren't many photos taken halfway through, like the alphabet streets between Burley Road and Kirkstall Rd on flight line 5. It's also interesting seeing Kirkstall power station and the rows of houses on the site of what's now Cardigan Fields. Again, Leodis has a fair few street level photos but there aren't many aerial views that give it some sort of context of just how many there were. Holbeck is pretty unrecognisable because it's changed so many times and it'll be interesting sitting down with Old Maps to see how it compares.

IIRC the council condemned the alphabet streets in the 30s and started clearing them just before the war. Conflict and austerity meant that the job wasn't completed for 15 years. Most of the clearances were originally scheduled to be done in the 1940s and 50s. There must be a book about somewhere..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8