Statistics
61 users online
14806 users
100906 posts
Leodis Photographic Archive
Leeds Lost Schools
Help | Register | Login | Active Threads | Register

You are here: Home > Secret Leeds > Buildings and structures> Leeds Lost Schools

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
Buildings and structures
Leeds Lost Schools
Page:20/22 

Print all messages in this thread  
Poster Message
zip55
User

Joined on:
15-Nov-2007 23:47:50
Posted:
288 posts
# Posted on: 16-Sep-2011 06:26:10. Goto attachments  

zip55 wrote:
zip55 wrote:
skippy wrote:
hi to everyone, i am looking for a picture of low road cp school, i used to live opposite that school in the 1950's and started there when i was 4 yrs old, and left in 1958. i would be very gratefull if anyone has a pic.thanks

here's one ... oops doesn't seem to be there

Try again ...

Last chance ... Jeez, sorry about this.

Mods can you please delete these past few worthless threads.    

BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
24-Mar-2008 09:12:09
Posted:
2338 posts
# Posted on: 16-Sep-2011 08:13:29.  

Picture OK here zip - could anyone please tell me exactly where, in today's terms, the school was situated. I have no connection with it, but having worked along Hunslet Road in far more recent times I'd just like to "place it" as it does look familiar.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days. 
tyke bhoy
User

Joined on:
21-Feb-2007 09:18:21
Posted:
1609 posts
# Posted on: 16-Sep-2011 08:59:19.  

Complete supposition on my part because I don't know. From the dim and distant past (70s) I can remember there being an old style school on Joseph Street. There is now a new one. There is also a new low road school but not on low road. Its just off Church Street not far from low road and behind the new building (sheltered housing/care home?) on the junction of Church Street and Low Road. I suspect the school was pretty much on the site of that new build because in those days low road school would have been on low road otherwise it would have been named after the street it was on Wink
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthouse

http://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
Posted:
2338 posts
# Posted on: 16-Sep-2011 10:02:21.  

Thanks very much tyke bhoy - that does seem to revive the memory very well - I knew from the picture "that I'd seen it many a time before." When I joined the RAF in October 1954 there was a lad in our billet called Jack Swan(n) who lived in the prefabs at 62 Low Road, Hunslet and he was a real card of a "Leeds lad." As I lived in Ilkley in those days I could only visualise some of the rich tales he used to relate - I just wonder if he's still around - its a long long time ago but it would be grand to have a get together - I might look into it when I've a chance.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days. 
zip55
User

Joined on:
15-Nov-2007 23:47:50
Posted:
288 posts
# Posted on: 17-Sep-2011 04:43:28.  

BLAKEY wrote:
Picture OK here zip - could anyone please tell me exactly where, in today's terms, the school was situated. I have no connection with it, but having worked along Hunslet Road in far more recent times I'd just like to "place it" as it does look familiar.

It was on the corner of Low Road and another street that is long gone.
On a current map, somewhere between Church St. and Balmoral Chase.

BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
Posted:
2338 posts
# Posted on: 18-Sep-2011 15:28:33.  

zip55 wrote:

Yes I can visualise it now, thanks a lot, and were some of the prefabs facing onto Low Road between Church Street and Waterloo Road (Swan Junction) ?? or were they nearer to Thwaite Gate ??
uncle mick
User

Calverley, Middelton and Hunslet born and bred
Joined on:
14-Jan-2009 11:13:15
Posted:
1078 posts
# Posted on: 18-Sep-2011 19:44:23.  

BLAKEY wrote:
zip55 wrote:

Yes I can visualise it now, thanks a lot, and were some of the prefabs facing onto Low Road between Church Street and Waterloo Road (Swan Junction) ?? or were they nearer to Thwaite Gate ??

Just a little glimpse

http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2011510_172195&DISPLAY=FULL

porters
User

Joined on:
26-Aug-2011 00:24:42
Posted:
4 posts
# Posted on: 19-Sep-2011 23:50:18.  

Hi everyone the pictures and comments on here with ref to ben gott bring back some great memories.I left there in 84 went to sandford and wyther park before that.once a week the gym teacher would have us all jogging round the golf course no matter what the weather.I would say they were one of the best times in my life been at ben gott.We all use to go to youth club on tuesdays and thursday better known as the leisure then.Terry george was the dj then didnt do him any harm.Good times and good memories.
s wilde 
BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
Posted:
2338 posts
# Posted on: 20-Sep-2011 09:02:42.  

uncle mick wrote:

Just a little glimpse
http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=2011510_172195&DISPLAY=FULL

Thanks a lot uncle mick - I drove past last night en route from Rothwell and can picture it all very well now. My 1954 RAF pal Jack Swan(n) lived I'm sure at number 62, and it was on that stretch.
Firecracker
User

Joined on:
23-Aug-2011 12:02:40
Posted:
10 posts
# Posted on: 14-Oct-2011 16:00:41.  

I went to first to Middleton Primary school which still stands. Then John Blenkinson which was pulled down when I think I was 11yrd old (been there 2 yrs I think) and I went off to Middleton Park High which although still stands is no longer a school. I think it closed around 2yrs after I left.

flange
User

Joined on:
18-Nov-2011 14:10:59
Posted:
1 posts
# Posted on: 18-Nov-2011 14:39:19.  

Septic Tank wrote:
I attended Central between 66-71, in all honesty I hated every day there. My only bit of pleasure was playing in the chess team and visiting proper schools with playing fields, nice outlooks, modern facilities etc, spent more time on the LCT busses schlepping between games at West Park, woodwork at the Mechanics Institute Woodhouse, swimming at the Olympic and Armley for the swimming gala, then athletics day at Temple Newsam. The masters were allright, Ernie 'get thettled' Stern was a gent, Stanislaus Leopold Mackiewitz was good, had Rocky wayed up as a fascist, Terry Clift, Mr Walshaw, Ced Felston, 'Tossy" Brostoff. Herbie Thompson was a superstar, he would be doing time these days, 1st class psycho & bully. Rags Buckley was a case, chain smoking and all. Stan Mac I heard went to Oz, the rest will probably have passed bless them, Willy Wombat should still be with us, guess Acker has gone to the great public lavatory in the sky, as his favourite pastime was 'checking them out.'

Left in 70. Hated it. What about Pebbles the commerce teacher I wound him up so much he dragged me into a cloakroom and gave me a good hiding! I lived opposite Tossy in Roundhay with Mr Stewart the deputy head a few streets away, I used to sit next to him on the bus home, which was a conveniant place for him to let me know I would not be welcome back to the sixth form, in laymans terms expelled! Heard Acker Freeman got locked up, funny that I never knew of him tampering with anybody in school.

Yorkshirerose
User

Joined on:
23-Apr-2011 03:34:16
Posted:
32 posts
# Posted on: 30-Jan-2012 03:08:46.  

My husband Kevin Brown went to St. Michaels college between 1945 and 49 I think. He was born in 1933. He used to tell me about Peter O'Toole who also attended that school. I have a school photo somewhere but can't find it at the moment.    

peterg
User

Joined on:
22-Jan-2008 17:32:03
Posted:
127 posts
# Posted on: 30-Jan-2012 15:08:38.  

I went to St. Michaels's from 1943 to 1951. I was born in 1933 but do not remember the name of Kevin Brown. He must have been born after 1st March and ran a year behind me. I have also heard about Peter O'Toole going to the college, but I can't place him in my memories anywhere.

Yorkshirerose
User

Joined on:
23-Apr-2011 03:34:16
Posted:
32 posts
# Posted on: 30-Jan-2012 22:33:47.  

He was born in April. I remember him saying that when they were marched down to St. Anne's he and Peter O'Toole would disappear up a side street to miss having to go to church. I found Kevin's school reports yesterday, but still no photo.

BillyBritvic
User

Joined on:
17-Jun-2009 22:42:31
Posted:
155 posts
# Posted on: 01-Feb-2012 13:46:15.  

I went to four different schools, St. Mary's on Middleton Town Street now converted to flats, Meanwood Road demolished, Harehills CP demolished and Cockburn also demolished. As you can see, I've lived all over Leeds but I'man Hunslet lad through and through.
The longer we live the older we get 
keyholekate
User

Joined on:
08-Nov-2008 23:55:50
Posted:
211 posts
# Posted on: 16-May-2012 23:16:42.  

Am sure I saw that Agnes Stewart school was getting demolished today.Also I saw that major roadworks are happening down that end for 15 weeks so maybe big changes in that area.I wonder if anything is planned for St Patricks church which is looking run down and scruffy now.

dogduke
User

Joined on:
03-Jan-2008 11:17:19
Posted:
1097 posts
# Posted on: 17-May-2012 20:10:57.  

keyholekate wrote:
Am sure I saw that Agnes Stewart school was getting demolished today.Also I saw that major roadworks are happening down that end for 15 weeks so maybe big changes in that area.I wonder if anything is planned for St Patricks church which is looking run down and scruffy now.

Agnes Stewart buildings were bought by the Pentecostal Church
and have planning permission to demolish some buildings and erect a new church and other bits.

St.Pats closed some time ago and is used by the Playhouse
to store props.

The new church is on Torre Road next to the school.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

olly
User

Joined on:
22-Jun-2012 19:35:46
Posted:
8 posts
# Posted on: 22-Jun-2012 21:16:57.  

Someone was asking about St Silas in Hunslet. I attended when I was about 4 or 5 to 7 when we left Hunslet for the paradise of Belle Isle at about 1957. We lived dead opposite St Silas on Neven St and my mates Dad, Les Todd was the caretaker.I remember the canvas beds which we had for our afternoon nap, the rough coconut mats and the yellow sulphur smog on winter mornings, the corner shop where we got our kali, malted milk and Y.Z chewing gum (with the picture of an owl on the packet) from the machine outside the shop - a penny a go and every fourth one free !!I remember when the church closed and seeing coffins being brought out, a bit scary when you're only a kid! Does anyone remember the church which stood at the end of Alf Cookes (opposite Costco at the corner of Hunslet Rd and Leathley Rd?) Alf Cookes extended over the site and in the window was a piece of stained glass from the church. I passed a while ago and noticed that the stained glass had gone. Does anyone know where? and was the church called St Stephens? Just curious.
Olly

Leodian
User

Joined on:
10-Jun-2010 12:33:50
Posted:
4222 posts
# Posted on: 22-Jun-2012 21:29:53.  

Ahhh kali. That brings back memories of sticking a wet finger into the powder and then licking the powder off. Regular Smiley

olly
User

Joined on:
22-Jun-2012 19:35:46
Posted:
8 posts
# Posted on: 22-Jun-2012 21:57:58.  

Yes - we all walked around with yellow or green forefingers and mouths to match. Don't remember my Mam telling me off for it so I suppose it was O.K. Better than coming home covered in street tar - got some real telling offs for that !!

Caron
User

Joined on:
29-Mar-2012 00:04:47
Posted:
798 posts
# Posted on: 24-Jun-2012 12:40:12.  

I was reading yesterday that the 3 cornered park, Whingate park, was named after a Pudsey peddler who sold cakes in Armley and would rest his horse on the land on his way home. His most popular cake was thought to resemble shortbread and it was called a Charley Cake.    

Jogon
User

Joined on:
21-Dec-2011 17:58:33
Posted:
2968 posts
# Posted on: 14-Aug-2012 18:43:12.  

Leeds Girls High School was an important part of Headingley and now makes a sorry sight as I pass by.

Shame it got swallowed into the Grammar School for boys.

I think it did a very special job and produced confident feisty Women.
Steering well clear of politics, and applying logic, all private pupils, parents of (I'm not, and mine aren't) already paid for a full State Education, age 5 to 18. Plus extra for Bursary stuff.

And then not used it. I recall the French Government meddling with their private system. This was stopped in it's tracks when the private pupils enrolled en masse for State, which could not cope. Bluff called.

Caron
User

Joined on:
29-Mar-2012 00:04:47
Posted:
798 posts
# Posted on: 14-Aug-2012 20:38:36.  

Mouseman. Worth quite a bit!

Jogon
User

Joined on:
Posted:
2968 posts
# Posted on: 14-Aug-2012 20:57:49.  

I'm sure lads there said Roundhay School had mouseman furniture back in the day.

ps
As a kid I was intrigued by mouseman stuff and actively sought it out. Good one down the hill, by the bend at Robin Hoods Bay.

Jogon
User

Joined on:
Posted:
2968 posts
# Posted on: 14-Aug-2012 22:23:44. Goto attachments  

Better pic mouseman gate, Robin Hoods Bay

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22