Statistics
30 users online
17432 users
104314 posts
Leodis Photographic Archive
Underground Leeds-A virtual tour
Help | Register | Login | Active Threads | Register

You are here: Home > Secret Leeds > Underground streets, tunnels, culverts> Underground Leeds-A virtual tour

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Underground streets, tunnels, culverts
Underground Leeds-A virtual tour
Page:1/5 

Print all messages in this thread  
Poster Message
Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
21-Feb-2007 10:17:09
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 02:50:32.  

My flickr pictures are here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 02:51:23.  

Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 02:52:59.  

yorkiesknob
User

Joined on:
19-Dec-2009 23:15:13
Posted:
265 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 08:16:37.  

Great work Phil, top shelf all the way.
As I'm in the construction game and involved in many new large box culvert installations, the old constructions photos are of a great interest to me. Great brickwork back in them days ,you would be hard pressed to find that kind of workmanship nowadays.

Keep up the good work Phil, and look forward to more of the same in 2011 .

Meery Christmas to you and all the best for 2011

Cheers Yorkie Brisbane very wet / 25c

Where there's muck there's money. Where there's money there's a fiddle. 
Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 08:18:51.  

And a Merry Christmas to you good sir, and all the other Secret Leeds guys from me.

Cheers everyone Regular Smiley    

jim
User

Joined on:
17-May-2009 14:39:44
Posted:
1540 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 09:18:06.  

Hi Phill, marvellous thread, and a phenomenal amount of work.

I notice from the 1847 Godfrey map that the present outfall route into the river was then identified as "mill race", implying that the now abandoned Steander/Timble Beck route was the original outfall. Both were heavily surrounded by mills, dyeworks, and other concerns. There must have been a fair number of waterwheels driven by the watercourses, giving purpose to the weirs you describe.

The 1906 Godfrey map marks part of the area enclosed by the two routes as "Fearn's Island, which might be due to that enclosure.

gbdlufc
User

Joined on:
23-Jun-2007 14:38:30
Posted:
80 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 09:51:24.  

What a great collection of pictures, nice one. Brought back many memories as we used to play in and around all the Mabgate area.

chameleon
Administrator

Joined on:
29-Mar-2007 22:46:49
Posted:
5418 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 14:03:04.  

Nice to see it all together in one place phill and a lot of new stuff too - can always tell when you're upto summ'at - goes very quiet with an odd cryptic comment now and again!!

Your earlier concerns - provided people post NEW MESSAGES rather than 'quote' to comment, I don't think space will be a problemRegular Smiley

Anything simple planned for tomorrow like excavating the Pennines again to pass the time, hmm? Wink
Emial:    info@secretleeds.com
Personal: amenableone@yahoo.co.uk

Leodian
User

Joined on:
10-Jun-2010 12:33:50
Posted:
4618 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 14:41:00.  

That is a superb exploration and historical set Phil. I was in the North Street/Sheepscar and Mabgate areas just a few days back and I looked at the exposed parts there and saw some of the views you have taken photos of.

I bet you were very relieved when the set loaded OK into the SL website. I've not yet fathomed out how to download more than one photo in a single message! It's good that you are prepared to venture into the underground parts of the beck and record the scenes, as I would not dare do so (it does not though seem to bother the graffiti artists!).    

beast
User

Joined on:
11-Feb-2010 16:53:14
Posted:
69 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 16:10:24.  

thats a superb set of photos. I remember the section over East Street at Steander quite well. Near Battys brushworks and the Waterloo pub, and I was having a look at the Mabgate/Hope Rd section the other day.
Hopefully in Spring next year a few of us are going to explore it all setting off from Meanwood.

chameleon
Administrator

Joined on:
29-Mar-2007 22:46:49
Posted:
5418 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 16:23:14.  

beast wrote:
thats a superb set of photos. I remember the section over East Street at Steander quite well. Near Battys brushworks and the Waterloo pub, and I was having a look at the Mabgate/Hope Rd section the other day.
Hopefully in Spring next year a few of us are going to explore it all setting off from Meanwood.

Regular Smiley
Emial:    info@secretleeds.com
Personal: amenableone@yahoo.co.uk

Leodian
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4618 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 18:10:34.  

I believe there are plans to demolish (or possibly redevelop) the Millgarth Poilce Station as part of the Eastgate/Harewood Quarter project, so I wonder if there will need to be changes to the tunnel under there?

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 18:38:25.  

Thanks for the good feedback guys Regular Smiley

@ Jim. Yes the the Steander course was the main outfall into the river according to the maps and archive photos i've come across researching this. Infact the area around Fearns Island you mention doesn't resemble a beck at all. A picture how it looked just past the East Street bridge can be seen here
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=8232

@gbdlufc. Glad you enjoyed it and it rekindled some childhood memories for you Regular Smiley

@ Chameleon. Yes it is nice to be able to scroll down and read the whole thing in one go. I was just a little concerned the page may be slow to load with too much data on it, it seems ok though.
No big explores planned for the Christmas period, just family visits and putting the feet up time for me.

@ Leodian. Yes apparently the Millgarth site is a bit of a pain for the Eastgate planners. These are the words from the Architect himself.

Quote.

The Millgarth site is problematic due to the Lady Beck culvert. The culvert bisects the site (N-S) and the police station is effectively built with two legs straddling the beck. This makes the site inapropriate for retail and I suggest it would be better divided into separate plots either side of the culvert used for hotel/office.

Issues with the culvert/Environment Agency requirements would have meant changes to the original masterplan even had the recession not intervened.        

Leodian
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4618 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 19:03:06.  

That parts built in Victorian times still survive shows they must have been built well. I wonder if any Victorian graffiti or at least names of builders still survive enough to be made out? Probably not, but you never know.

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 19:07:40.  

Leodian wrote:
That parts built in Victorian times still survive shows they must have been built well. I wonder if any Victorian graffiti or at least names of builders still survive enough to be made out? Probably not, but you never know.

The oldest grafitti down there was the 1980's Stranglers i'm afraid Regular Smiley

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 19:30:12.  

Here's some interesting information on the beck
http://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/2006/week35/inter__5e727b5a-23a2-48e0-8762-b3093851a478_b26e1014-7acb-4bb3-a76b-43d173994131.pdf    

PC - Dublin
User

Joined on:
14-Feb-2010 17:10:51
Posted:
238 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 20:17:24.  

An excellent "tour de force" again from Phill. I love the way the comparisons are made using older ordnance survey maps and also with present day aerial photos. There is a tremendous amount of work gone into the preparation of this thread and Secret Leeds is fabulous for threads like this.

The designers of the various culverts had a great understanding of "dry weather flows" which were catered for in the bottom channel, whereas the flood flows were catered throughout the rest of the culvert cross sectional area. This is in stark contrast to the reinforced concrete rectangular box culverts being constructed today which use the complete width of the channel for all flows.

Phill,.... a book??

PC

drapesy
User

Joined on:
24-Feb-2007 21:20:32
Posted:
2614 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 20:22:35.  

Brilliant work as ever Phill - many thanks
Incidentally the Cinema shown on the 1933 map[about a third of the way down this page of the thread] was the 'Olympia Picture Hall' on Cherry Row. It was a cinema from 1912 to 1934, according to my trusty copy of 'Preedy'
The building still exists - I'll try to get some photos, wonder if theres any evidence left of its time as a cinema?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

keyholekate
User

Joined on:
08-Nov-2008 23:55:50
Posted:
211 posts
# Posted on: 24-Dec-2010 22:58:26.  

Your projects are outstanding.Loved EVERY one of them,you should be in publishing or TV.You remind me of that chap on ITV who did an interesting programme with a theme. . .cant remember his name. . .he was an oldish chap,maybe he travelled on a bike discovering Yorkshire?A long time ago but a great programme.

buffaloskinner
User

Joined on:
01-Apr-2007 22:32:45
Posted:
658 posts
# Posted on: 25-Dec-2010 00:14:54.  

Another classic Mr D, its a while since I watched the video version, but I think I prefer the walk and talk version.

Now where is that scratch and smell card .............

Is this the end of the story ...
or the beginning of a legend?

Brunel
User

Joined on:
20-Mar-2008 17:04:54
Posted:
797 posts
# Posted on: 25-Dec-2010 01:22:47.  

Should be published, or submitted to a University.

Perhaps a D.Phil.............could be awarded.

BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
24-Mar-2008 09:12:09
Posted:
2417 posts
# Posted on: 25-Dec-2010 11:13:46.  

As others have already acknowledged Phil, this is an incredibly interesting and extensive commendable work and we can't thank you enough for it. Its shown me an enormous amount of information that I knew little or nothing about, despite having walked above the subjects described and illustrated for seven decades !!
Just in passing - the West Yorkshire bus in the accident, DX14, was only a few months old at the time and therefore avoided scrapping, being returned to Bristol and Eastern Coachworks for extensive repairs, but even so it must have been a "borderline" insurance matter.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days. 
Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 25-Dec-2010 12:06:03.  

@ csnosi, gald you liked it mate Regular Smiley

@ PC - Dublin, your right, the Victorians were very advanced with there building knowledge, the use of the pre-formed concrete kicking blocks for example. The old Victorian channel is far superior at self cleaning than the modern box culvert was.

@ Drapsey, thanks for the info about the cinema. I tried to find out what it was called with no success. I've added it to the story.

I doubt there's any signs of the cinema to be honest. The place has recently been renovated. It's possible there Student flats judging by the noise i heard coming from there. The builders were actually replacing the very last window when i was down in the culvert. One of them shouts 'Hey mate, what you doing down there? I shouted back, why what are you doing up there? Then i just strolled off through the tunnel Regular Smiley

@ Kate, thanks very much, glad you enjoy them.
The guy on the bike was Adam Hart Davis. I used to enjoy his programmes too, but i'm not sure about the Yellow and Pink cycling outfits he wore.

@ buffaloskinner, thanks mate.

@ Brunel, I like the sound of the university thing, is that phill.d P.H.D perchance?
Cheers!

@ Blakey, thanks Blakey, I always enjoy your 'on the busses' story telling too. Thanks for the info on the bus. Like Drapseys snippet of info, i've added it to the story. Feedback like this is great for added interest.

Thanks everyone!        

Brandy
User

Joined on:
21-Feb-2007 12:33:58
Posted:
1550 posts
# Posted on: 25-Dec-2010 12:29:49.  

Mate your a breath of fresh air.We need to stop all
this bickering and get back to what we all do best.
Well i say 'all' what i mean is you lot with a sprinkling
of my incoherent ramblings lol.
To tell you the truth i was starting to get a little bit sick
of it all what with the episode last month.
But its stuff like this and the stuff on the mining
thread(GT+Parksider+ PC Dublin)that make me want
to keep going with the site.
Also CNOSNI with his tireless Family History searches,a true
credit to the site.
And BLAKEY and his oracle of
transport(still waiting for that book BLAKEY LOL) and not
forgetting Drapesy with his INCREDIBLE knowledge on public
houses both past and present lol.
And the right dis-honourable reverend of the voodoo moon Steve Jones TOP MAN!
The list goes on and on but what im trying to say really
is that the site as got much much more good going for
it than bad.
Its just a shame when the bickering starts and then one
person says one thing then someone says something
else and before you know it people have fallen out.
Its no good arguing and falling out so lets(for the good
of the site)banish all the bull$hit and get back to basics.

ps/I forgot the mention The Chameleon, Secret Leeds answer
to Kofi annan. A credit to world peace and cross gatesRegular Smiley

So anyway's that been said, i hope you all have
a very merry Christmas and a peaceful prosperous new year.

Peace & Respect

Sean.    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -
those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Phill_dvsn
User

Joined on:
Posted:
4423 posts
# Posted on: 25-Dec-2010 12:38:49.  

Haha. Glad you made a Christmas day appearence Brandy, even if you've had a little tipple #Hic#
You have a great Christmas mate, and everyone else too.

Cheers Brandy Regular Smiley

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5