Statistics
47 users online
17137 users
103969 posts
Leodis Photographic Archive
Things you miss about the old Leeds. . .
Help | Register | Login | Active Threads | Register

You are here: Home > Secret Leeds > Family History> Things you miss about the old Leeds. . .

Pages: 1 2 3
Family History
Things you miss about the old Leeds. . .
Page:2/3 

Print all messages in this thread  
Poster Message
Gandalf
User

Joined on:
22-Apr-2008 14:17:05
Posted:
26 posts
# Posted on: 23-Apr-2008 08:59:31.  

BLAKEY wrote:
Gandalf wrote:
Traffic on Briggate. Daft I know but I think that it looks half empty most of the time (bar Sat afternoons).

The old red bus station as has been mentioned.

I couldn't agree more my friend - although a moderate degree of pedestrianisation has its place I suppose they've certainly gone "over the top" in Leeds I think.
Being a transport buff, serious rather than an "anorak", I miss the majestic sight of the buses sweeping out of North Street past the Chest Clinic and over the brow to stop opposite Lewiss's, and then down Briggate to the stop at Woolworth's before descending Lower Briggate to cross the river, continuing along Hunslet ROAD (before Tetley's hi-jacked the thoroughfare) to the south of the City - number 3 to Middleton, number 6 to Belle Isle. My old English mistress at IGS would have rebuked me for a sentence the length of that one !!

Poetic, almost to the standard of Night Mail - W.H. Auden

This is the Night Mail crossing the border,
Bringing the cheque and the postal order ....

I miss the bus numbers as well. 10,19,21 to Oakwood, circular around Moortown and back to Middleton.

Clankylad
User

Joined on:
12-Jun-2007 08:34:13
Posted:
44 posts
# Posted on: 23-Apr-2008 17:28:31.  

The red bus station on Vicar Lane and the 10-20p fares I used to pay to get there from Yeadon when I was a kid, the Market Tavern (although I never went in it), the Original Penny Arcade, Beatties model shop with the train set going round on the wall, the covered area outside Schofields and the maze-like interior of the shop, the Town Hall being jet black, the enormous floodlights at Elland Road, the badge shop in the Merrion Centre, the grubby little street that got replaced by the St Johns Centre, going to see a film at the Odeon and then another one down at the ABC, sitting in the garden of rest waiting for the pubs to re-open on Saturday afternoons, Kirkstall power station, fleamarkets at the Queen’s Hall, comic fairs at the Griffin Hotel and the big ‘Playhouse’ sign…
"This is the North. We do what we like." 
wayniac
User

Joined on:
21-Mar-2008 08:25:27
Posted:
50 posts
# Posted on: 27-Jun-2008 22:34:35.  

Adlemans outfitters. Going there to get my first school uniform. Another trip to get my cubs gear (woggle, tabs and green jumper).

The old co-ops, especially the big one on Commercial Street with the air tubes taking the money to the accounts department. Spending the "divi".

Club cards to buy shoes.

The pet shop and the toy shop in the Grand Arcade.

Neville Hill sidings and "cabbing" a locomotive.

Grandma saying, "one day we'll go to the Queens Hotel". Meaning when we get rich (never!)".

Range Rider lucky bags.

penny bangers.    

TenDaysaLoiner
User

Joined on:
10-Dec-2008 00:08:48
Posted:
39 posts
# Posted on: 10-Dec-2008 23:26:02.  

The old tramps on the bus station in the late 60s/early 70s.

I didn;t live in Leeds but my parents both worked there and we used to go into Leeds a lot from Sherburn. And my first impression as a kid was always the impressive tramps all over the bus station. Ex army tramps, younger tramps, older tramps, proper tramps, all kinds of tramps. Where did they all go?

Also anyone remember that cafe/shop up Briggate I think it was - above the Headrow, anyway, on the same side as the museum - where they sold all the fancy Twinings teas in tins?

And Schofields.

TenDaysaLoiner
User

Joined on:
10-Dec-2008 00:08:48
Posted:
39 posts
# Posted on: 10-Dec-2008 23:29:47.  

Ooh and I forgot. That little herbalists' on Fish St I think it was. If ever I had a cough or cold or summat minor up, dad would always take me in there. And I remember the market before the fire.

Reginal Perrin
User

Joined on:
23-Feb-2007 15:22:12
Posted:
670 posts
# Posted on: 11-Dec-2008 14:11:14.  

Littel shops on the balconies of the arcades. Going shoping to Leeds market every Saturday morning like everyone else did. The little indoor market at the back of the old bus station. The old fruit and veg run in the outdoor market which went from the car park to the market toilets. The "lock up" shops in the middle of the outdoor market and those down George Street. The old bus station, Hagenbachs and the old style newsagents. The Wellington Street coach depot with it's 1950's signage. Boar Lane being run down and having loads of interesting shops like Carstuff and Combat Sports.

More recently Ranchburger and Wendy Burger, miles better than anything we have now.

Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli. 
cnosni
Administrator

Joined on:
28-Mar-2007 21:17:06
Posted:
4067 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 00:35:42.  

Phill_d wrote:
These!

I know its a year late,but yes mate,i miss these beauties!

Im not a bus or train spotter,but these buses bring back yer childhood like nowt else.
Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com

cnosni
Administrator

Joined on:
Posted:
4067 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 00:40:01.  

Reginal Perrin wrote:
Littel shops on the balconies of the arcades. Going shoping to Leeds market every Saturday morning like everyone else did. The little indoor market at the back of the old bus station. The old fruit and veg run in the outdoor market which went from the car park to the market toilets. The "lock up" shops in the middle of the outdoor market and those down George Street. The old bus station, Hagenbachs and the old style newsagents. The Wellington Street coach depot with it's 1950's signage. Boar Lane being run down and having loads of interesting shops like Carstuff and Combat Sports.

More recently Ranchburger and Wendy Burger, miles better than anything we have now.

Reggie,i getting the sense you like burgers,especially since you set off the KFC thread.
Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com

cnosni
Administrator

Joined on:
Posted:
4067 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 00:49:37.  

The market on a saturday,loved it,got a new matchbox car every saturday morning,kin magic,what a place.

One of my earliest memories (in colour of course,unlike Arrys which must be in black and white) was coming back home on the bus up Scott Hall Road from town having been to the market.

I found out that we had moved from Scott Hall (which is where mi grandad lived) BEFORE i was 3!!,so it just shows you when you start to make credible memories.

My next strong memory is when i was on a bus,late at night (it was dark,so must have been after 6pm!!) on Compton Road,going to check on our new house that we had got in Broughton Avenue.

I must have been tired as my memory was looking out of the bus window up to the street lights,head cocked to oneside with my head leaning against the window of the bus,then getting off at the stop which is now outside the nursery.

Cant remember owt after that,just that i had become a Leeds 9 lad from then on.

Live south of the river now,but Leeds 9 through and through.
(Shame its a dump now though)

Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com

Cardiarms
User

Joined on:
21-Oct-2008 13:00:01
Posted:
2859 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 08:21:30.  

Kerchingers

Reginal Perrin
User

Joined on:
Posted:
670 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 09:01:37.  

Cardiarms wrote:
Kerchingers

I once forged one and I actually think it worked. I added the card back on to the side and the memory is sketchy but I'm sure it worked.

And who doesn't like burgers? Good uns anyway. I always reckoned that a top quality burger bar would be great but that Gourmet Burger Kitchen is too restauranty, we need a chrome American diner style place that does proper meaty burgers and bowls of chilli. Quick service like a fast food joint but better quality.
cnosni
Administrator

Joined on:
Posted:
4067 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 09:09:15.  

Reginal Perrin wrote:
Cardiarms wrote:
Kerchingers

I once forged one and I actually think it worked. I added the card back on to the side and the memory is sketchy but I'm sure it worked.

And who doesn't like burgers? Good uns anyway. I always reckoned that a top quality burger bar would be great but that Gourmet Burger Kitchen is too restauranty, we need a chrome American diner style place that does proper meaty burgers and bowls of chilli. Quick service like a fast food joint but better quality.

So have you been in the GBK then Reggie?
Was thinking of trying it myself.
Don't get me started!!
My Flickr photos-
Secret Leeds contact
info@secretleeds.com

BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
24-Mar-2008 09:12:09
Posted:
2400 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 09:13:05.  

Reginal Perrin wrote:
Cardiarms wrote:
Kerchingers

You weren't on your own there Reggie - believe me when "Kerchingers" were first introduced (1968/9 if my memory serves) the number of forgeries was enormous and, before the advent of "Code strips" on the back of the tickets, they worked perfectly. Perhaps the finest examples were those produced - in quantity - by the enterprising pupils of a certain well known and respected North Leeds secondary school - those forgeries warranted an award for technical excellence, in fact they worked better than the original often troublesome bona fide ones
LOL    LOL

There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days. 
Reginal Perrin
User

Joined on:
Posted:
670 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 09:18:44.  

BLAKEY wrote:
Reginal Perrin wrote:
Cardiarms wrote:
Kerchingers

You weren't on your own there Reggie - believe me when "Kerchingers" were first introduced (1968/9 if my memory serves) the number of forgeries was enormous and, before the advent of "Code strips" on the back of the tickets, they worked perfectly. Perhaps the finest examples were those produced - in quantity - by the enterprising pupils of a certain well known and respected North Leeds secondary school - those forgeries warranted an award for technical excellence, in fact they worked better than the original often troublesome bona fide ones
LOL    LOL

Yeah, enterprising little crims. I have to say I worked alone and made no personal gain out of my rime other than the odd free bus ride. It raised images of miniature Donald Pleasances with eye glasses and angle lamps.
tyke bhoy
User

Joined on:
21-Feb-2007 09:18:21
Posted:
1674 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 11:08:40.  

BLAKEY wrote:
You weren't on your own there Reggie - believe me when "Kerchingers" were first introduced (1968/9 if my memory serves) the number of forgeries was enormous and, before the advent of "Code strips" on the back of the tickets, they worked perfectly.

Was it reallly as early as that or were they phased out for a while and brought back when security was a bit tighter? I wouldn't have thought there was much need for them while two man services were still the norm as the general idea was to spee up boarding. I don't remember them in use until at least my very late school days (early eighties) and definitely do remember them in use in my early working days probably through to the late eighties.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthouse

http://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
Posted:
2400 posts
# Posted on: 12-Dec-2008 20:51:22.  

tyke bhoy wrote:
BLAKEY wrote:
You weren't on your own there Reggie - believe me when "Kerchingers" were first introduced (1968/9 if my memory serves) the number of forgeries was enormous and, before the advent of "Code strips" on the back of the tickets, they worked perfectly.

Was it reallly as early as that or were they phased out for a while and brought back when security was a bit tighter? I wouldn't have thought there was much need for them while two man services were still the norm as the general idea was to spee up boarding. I don't remember them in use until at least my very late school days (early eighties) and definitely do remember them in use in my early working days probably through to the late eighties.

Yes they definitely were introduced one "One Man" services in 1967 or 1968 which is just before I joined LCT, and I bought and used them myself to travel. I joined LCT in November 1969 and they were in use then, and when I began One Man duties myself we had the infernal things - well there was nothing wrong with the idea of reduced price tickets, but to have to sell them on the bus was quite ridiculous. They were originally ten journey tickets - the passenger bought them from the driver, but did NOT cancel the ticket for that journy, but only on the successive nine trips - those with a "tender touch" could and did manage an extra trip or two by letting the "Kerching" machine stamp the journey while the ticket was not fully engaged wiith the internal stop. Monday mornings were murder, when all the regular "five day week" workers got their tickets. The tickets were stored on the bus dashboard - packs of 100 (later reduced to 50) of eight different values in a tailor made wooden rack. The system involved a second collossal waybill to be filled in at each terminus in time that we didn't have, in addition to the existing waybill for the six values of tickets in the huge ghastly Solomatic ticket machines - the latter were incorrectly fitted with six heavy ticket rolls like the conductors used - but the Solomatic was designed to use concertina "cinema" packs which the mechaism could handle - consequently you were faced with ticket jams at every other stop, when the machine ripped straight through the sprocket holes between each ticket because the full roll beneath was too heavy to turn and the paper was too thin !!
Combined with criminally inadequate running times on some of the busiest routes it was a traumatic time for drivers and was not for the faint hearted. The first really busy route to be optimistically converted was the 44 from Halton Moor to Stanningley - always impossible even with a conductor, the extra running time granted was just two minutes !! The route, shared by Headingley and Torre Road depots, immediately gained the sinister nickname "World War 3."

There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days. 
nobbyslass
User

Joined on:
05-Mar-2009 11:46:27
Posted:
30 posts
# Posted on: 05-Mar-2009 13:54:38.  

wayniac wrote:
Adlemans outfitters. Going there to get my first school uniform. Another trip to get my cubs gear (woggle, tabs and green jumper).

The old co-ops, especially the big one on Commercial Street with the air tubes taking the money to the accounts department. Spending the "divi".

Club cards to buy shoes.

The pet shop and the toy shop in the Grand Arcade.

Neville Hill sidings and "cabbing" a locomotive.

Grandma saying, "one day we'll go to the Queens Hotel". Meaning when we get rich (never!)".

Range Rider lucky bags.

penny bangers.    

Actually did stay at the Queens about 12 years ago had the room over the clock looking across city square . Costs sixpence to speak to me these days!

zip55
User

Joined on:
15-Nov-2007 23:47:50
Posted:
289 posts
# Posted on: 06-Mar-2009 01:58:34.  

Hey Blakey, do you remember a Gordon Wearmouth from Torre Rd depot in the 70's and 80's ... ?

BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
Posted:
2400 posts
# Posted on: 06-Mar-2009 08:27:44.  

zip55 wrote:
Hey Blakey, do you remember a Gordon Wearmouth from Torre Rd depot in the 70's and 80's ... ?

Not just immediately I'm afraid, although I was occasionally sent there "on the book" for one reason or another. There were some fabulous characters at "Torry." The wonderful Arthur Gateley (The Major), "Fergy" with spotted dickie bow tie which he stubbornly wore despte many warnings, lovely Cissie Storrer (the elderly conductress with the croaky voice) Edna Holsworth, whose language would make a Royal Marine blush - oh there were so many. Behind the counter was Inspector Bill Bagley, whose sole priority was the score and goings on at Headingley Rugby - whether or not any buses were running was secondary - and his immortal slogan was "If in doubt pull 'em out" - and he meant it !!Can you perhaps jog my memory about Gordon Wearmouth - an unusual name which I ought to remember ??
Aaah - sudden afterthought - I wonder if you've spelt it slightly wrong ? - I seem to remember someone called LearmoNth - would that be right ??

whippetgirl
User

Joined on:
30-Jan-2009 11:15:59
Posted:
32 posts
# Posted on: 06-Mar-2009 09:21:58.  

I miss Saturday mornings in Leeds market. My friend lived at the other side of Leeds to me so we used to meet under the Guiness clock. We'd buy a Jackie to get our David Cassidy fix and then go upstairs in the market (to the balcony outside the ladies loo) and spend the rest of the morning watching the boys walk by below us! As we leaned over the balcony we flirted with every teenage boy entering the market! Happy days! Beneath us there was a knitwear shop and we used to laugh at the stock on display and swear we would kill ourselves if we ever bought anything from that shop. I wonder what my mate would think now that we are over 50 and I am currently in possession of two items of knitwear from that very stall.
jjjjj 
BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
Posted:
2400 posts
# Posted on: 06-Mar-2009 09:50:14.  

You're not on your own there whippetgirl don't worry. Regular Smiley In my younger days I used to happily think "Oh I wouldn't ever wear a hat, scarf, gloves, thick vest" etc etc - now at 72 I'm like a walking Damart catalogue, and insist that they put the good weather forecasts in writing Shocked Well not quite but you know what I mean Laugh    
simong
User

Joined on:
08-Sep-2007 10:47:44
Posted:
712 posts
# Posted on: 06-Mar-2009 11:59:54.  

Cardiarms wrote:
Kerchingers

The Saverstrip jingle has just reappeared in my head, damn you. Fortunately it's not on YouTube.

Geordie-exile
User

Joined on:
06-Feb-2008 22:39:43
Posted:
1272 posts
# Posted on: 06-Mar-2009 20:25:38.  

simong wrote:
Cardiarms wrote:
Kerchingers

The Saverstrip jingle has just reappeared in my head, damn you. Fortunately it's not on YouTube.

Kerchinger shop. Kerchinger work. Kerchinger cheaper. Kerchinger saverstrip!

And if I remember correctly they pre-empted Asda's pocket tapping gesture by years.

chameleon
Administrator

Joined on:
29-Mar-2007 22:46:49
Posted:
5406 posts
# Posted on: 06-Mar-2009 21:27:17.  

Geordie-exile wrote:
simong wrote:
Cardiarms wrote:
Kerchingers

Kerchinger shop. Kerchinger work. Kerchinger cheaper. Kerchinger saverstrip!

And if I remember correctly they pre-empted Asda's pocket tapping gesture by years.

With the Saver Strip? I think you're right. Wonderful things they were, more often than not they wouldn't chop in the right place which let you get an extra journey at the end of it - quite inocently of courseWink
Emial:    info@secretleeds.com
Personal: amenableone@yahoo.co.uk

BLAKEY
User

Joined on:
Posted:
2400 posts
# Posted on: 06-Mar-2009 21:32:36.  

The original cancellors were purely mechanical, and the "multi journey tickets" (before Saverstrips) had no electronic coding. The amount of fiddling by the dishonest and enterprising fraternity was enormous, and some of the methods were quite impressive.
Pages: 1 2 3